P
Polarpurplebear
Member
- Joined
- Jun 6, 2006
- Messages
- 60
Well..it's been a long time since I posted here...but I am looking for some support.
I'll try to cut a long story short...
Last summer I had a veneer put on my front tooth which was really mishapen and stained from some antibiotics I had taken as a child. I had lived with it for 25 years but finally decided to get it fixed. I paid a lot of money to have a very highly regarded dentist fit a porcelain veneer, and was so pleased. It looks great and he was really considerate. I had some sensitivity after the procedure but was told that was normal and would settle down.
After a few months I was still having a few intermittent issues - occasional sensitivity to hot and cold on that tooth, and sometimes just the odd day where it ached slightly. I went back to the dentist and he had a good look and saw no signs of cavities, exposed root, decay etc. He said I should come back if the ache became severe and constant as it could signal some decay in the root and the need for a root canal.
3-4 months went by with just the intermittent sensitivity here and there, but largely it was painless. Until yesterday - it started out as a slight ache in the morning but by last night it was full blown toothache and it was agony. Kept me up half the night and this morning I decided I HAD to get myself to a dentist.
I can't go to the original dentist - he is very expensive and I'm now studying full time and can't afford it - it'd cost me £50 to get seen, plus money for xrays and a root canal would be in the region of £200 if I needed one. There are NHS dentists in my area accepting new patients who could do the lot for under £50 so I have to take that option.
So I'm booked in with this new dentist this afternoon. I am so scared...what if I need a root canal? Has anyone ever had one on a front tooth before? Is it even possible I could have decay in the root of my tooth when the tooth itself looks healthy with no sign of cavities etc? I'm so upset, I look after my teeth so well, I brush and floss twice daily, I don't know how this has happened. Do you think anything else could cause this kind of pain?
I'll try to cut a long story short...
Last summer I had a veneer put on my front tooth which was really mishapen and stained from some antibiotics I had taken as a child. I had lived with it for 25 years but finally decided to get it fixed. I paid a lot of money to have a very highly regarded dentist fit a porcelain veneer, and was so pleased. It looks great and he was really considerate. I had some sensitivity after the procedure but was told that was normal and would settle down.
After a few months I was still having a few intermittent issues - occasional sensitivity to hot and cold on that tooth, and sometimes just the odd day where it ached slightly. I went back to the dentist and he had a good look and saw no signs of cavities, exposed root, decay etc. He said I should come back if the ache became severe and constant as it could signal some decay in the root and the need for a root canal.
3-4 months went by with just the intermittent sensitivity here and there, but largely it was painless. Until yesterday - it started out as a slight ache in the morning but by last night it was full blown toothache and it was agony. Kept me up half the night and this morning I decided I HAD to get myself to a dentist.
I can't go to the original dentist - he is very expensive and I'm now studying full time and can't afford it - it'd cost me £50 to get seen, plus money for xrays and a root canal would be in the region of £200 if I needed one. There are NHS dentists in my area accepting new patients who could do the lot for under £50 so I have to take that option.
So I'm booked in with this new dentist this afternoon. I am so scared...what if I need a root canal? Has anyone ever had one on a front tooth before? Is it even possible I could have decay in the root of my tooth when the tooth itself looks healthy with no sign of cavities etc? I'm so upset, I look after my teeth so well, I brush and floss twice daily, I don't know how this has happened. Do you think anything else could cause this kind of pain?

However you are certainly doing the right thing, it's highly likely that an x-ray will reveal the cause of your problem, whatever it may be. Good luck this afternoon !
- not all private ones are good. The main problem for NHS dentists seems to be time pressure/lack of experience if recently qualified/basic-ness of NHS offering - you've obviously found a good one doing what he is supposed to according to the GDC guidelines i.e. treat patients with respect and get informed consent - was he the practice owner though - how long will he stay put - that is the other issue for me..lack of continuity of care from the same dentist in NHS. That's what finally made me go private over 20 odd years ago. No desire to return lol.