• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pretty much most of my cusp came off due to a large filling :(, with pics terrified/shaking

L
Pretty much most of my cusp came off due to a large filling :(, with pics terrified/shaking

Hey,

I had 3 teeth filled including a deep cavity on a lower left molar and just my luck about 2 weeks ago it cracked a little on the edge due to it being way over filled, I went to the dentist and she said it was fine she wasn't concerned at all, filed it down a week later a little bit more come off and now quite a lot of it has come off, the filling is still intact and hasn't moved It doesn't hurt to eat on that area nor is it sensitive. I'm shaking uncontrollably at this point and crying my eyes out :( I'm f***** terrified!

IMG_2070.jpg

Re: Pretty much most of my cusp came off due to a large filling :(, with pics terrified/shaking

Hey,

I had 3 teeth filled including a deep cavity on a lower left molar and just my luck about 2 weeks ago it cracked a little on the edge due to it being way over filled, I went to the dentist and she said it was fine she wasn't concerned at all, filed it down a week later a little bit more come off and now quite a lot of it has come off, the filling is still intact and hasn't moved It doesn't hurt to eat on that area nor is it sensitive. I'm shaking uncontrollably at this point and crying my eyes out :( I'm f***** terrified!

View attachment 1067

go back to the dentist, since you have no pain I doubt you need a root canal but more than likely will need a crown to hold your filling and tooth together.

Hey,

I'm absolutely bloody terrified!, I can't breath I'm shaking and I'm dizzy as near passing out. I've been to the dentist down heath hayes, and he said it would be a difficult extraction and it would have to be done at a hospital!. Don't you think this is a little extreme? Should I get a second opinion? I'm absolutely heart broken!

Cheers, Jack

Hi there - I feel your pain.
Four weeks ago I broke a wisdom tooth and went to have a routine extraction. 40 minutes later the dentist had broken it so badly he said he couldn't get it and that it would be a surgical extraction at the hospital.
I then found out that there was a nine month waiting list for hospital!
I found a local dentist with an excellent reputation and he took the broken piece out in less than 5 minutes! It cost me, but it was worth every penny. A good dentist should be able to do it with no problem at all.
Stay calm and brave - it will be fine ;)

from the picture you posted before yes I would get another opinion because a tooth does not need to be extracted just because a cusp broke off. if it is not cracked below the gum line it can be built up and crowned.

A little more more has come off on the left side and it's red :( where the tooth has gone, but there is still tooth above the gum line

Re: Cracked cusp nightmare! apparently I need to go to the hospital to have it out!

I've calmed a bit now, thank you here's a picture of it now :(, I'm just scared of eating on it, It's not painful/ sensitive or anything I'm booked in the 11 th may for another opinion some where else also I can't believe my luck :( the right side is still very strong and sturdy So I guess I just need to calm down and relax now.

IMG_2082.jpg

Re: Cracked cusp nightmare! apparently I need to go to the hospital to have it out!

I've calmed a bit now, thank you here's a picture of it now :(, I'm just scared of eating on it, It's not painful/ sensitive or anything I'm booked in the 11 th may for another opinion some where else also I can't believe my luck :( the right side is still very strong and sturdy So I guess I just need to calm down and relax now.

View attachment 1068

Lockey that is the thing, you should NOT eat on it. you should see the dentist as soon as possible and you should chew on the other side away from the broken tooth until you do. it can very easily crack or get infected in it's present condition and end up being unable to be saved. If it was my tooth I would be seeing an emergency dentist today not waiting 10 days.

Lockey that is the thing, you should NOT eat on it. you should see the dentist as soon as possible and you should chew on the other side away from the broken tooth until you do. it can very easily crack or get infected in it's present condition and end up being unable to be saved. If it was my tooth I would be seeing an emergency dentist today not waiting 10 days.

it doesn't hurt and the root is protected the filling is still there

Hey,

I've posted it a few times on here and I'm getting a second opinion on it may 11 th at a another dentist, I had a deep filling done on a molar well they said it was a filling, turned out it was a dressing which they did not tell me untill yesterday and when he said it would have to be extracted at a hospital my heart dropped a tiny bit more came off the back yesterday, it doesn't hurt and feels a little bit better than it did before to be honest. The dressing/ filling is still solid in place so it's not giving me any jip but I'm just incredibly depressed at the minute I can't enjoy anything even my passion/obsession carp fishing is off the table nothing is cheering me up at all.

Here's a picture of it, there is still quite a bit of tooth left above the gum and the right side is still solid so I doubt that will give way, but you never know :(.

IMG_2082.jpg

I'm not sure what more can be said on the subject. you need to find out if this tooth can be saved by a root canal and crown if you can afford it, or just a crown if it is not dying. otherwise it will end up extracted. more will continue to come apart if you keep chewing on it. the point is not that it doesn't hurt the point is that it is weak and fragile in this state like I told you and will continue to break like it has been every day. if it can be saved by crown I would do so and not wait til it's too late

Hi,

from the photo it seems there is a deep cavity which is probably means either a root canal treatment and a crown or an extraction.
The main consideration to choose between the two is how deep under the gum line is the cavity. If it is too deep under the gums, the dentist cannot treat it well and then an extraction is the last and only option.

My Mom described a situation where she had a root canal, which broke, and half of her tooth was left kind of like yours (near/under the gum line). Her dentist had to do the extraction there because of how badly her root canal had gotten (it was so bad for her that she couldn't open her mouth). But he made sure to numb her up properly and she didn't feel a thing through the whole procedure - was totally calm and zero complications with healing.

So if you do have to get it extracted, talk to the doctor about needing to be completely numb and possibly needing medication for anxiety before they start the procedure. And if they fuss, don't go to them.

(My MIL needs to be given gas to relax for any procedure - including cleanings. For something like an extraction, you should have no problem being given what you need for a pain free procedure.)

Hi,

from the photo it seems there is a deep cavity which is probably means either a root canal treatment and a crown or an extraction.
The main consideration to choose between the two is how deep under the gum line is the cavity. If it is too deep under the gums, the dentist cannot treat it well and then an extraction is the last and only option.

Its' not a cavity, it's the filling that broke away it's still covering the root and so on the cusp has pretty much come off I had it filled about 3 weeks ago.

Its' not a cavity, it's the filling that broke away it's still covering the root and so on the cusp has pretty much come off I had it filled about 3 weeks ago.

I had a big filling (not sure how deep though) and part of my tooth broke off (this was after 10 years though of having that filling). My dentist was able to do a root canal on it (it was #18) and things have been fine.

I'm just not sure how broken off yours is - mine had enough above the gums that the root canal was a good choice. With my Mom, the tooth broke off below the gum line and had to come out.

Hey,

Just been for a second opinion had the choice of a route canal or extraction I've chosen to have it out, the dentist seems fine and nice but he did say it would sting with the injection including with the numbing gel and I'm now terrified he says some feel it and some don't :( now I'm terrified that he doesn't know how to give injections properly and it's going to sting he said it could sting for a good 30-40 secs!. Anyway he reckons he can get it out in 2-5 minutes.

Either he's not confident in his injection technique or he's trying to give you the worst case scenario so that you are pleasantly surprised when you don't feel anything. I'm guessing the second option. The injection itself is usually done quite slowly and tis is a good thing - maybe this is the 30-40 seconds he was talking about?

Either he's not confident in his injection technique or he's trying to give you the worst case scenario so that you are pleasantly surprised when you don't feel anything. I'm guessing the second option. The injection itself is usually done quite slowly and tis is a good thing - maybe this is the 30-40 seconds he was talking about?

Maybe you're right, Made me feel a little more at ease :)

Back