• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about TMJD causing occlusion issues

M

MountainMama

After having my implant placed, my TMJD flared up and my bite has been off ever since (3 weeks now). My periodontist/surgeon suggested waiting to see if the inflammation went down before adjusting my teeth, which I am absolutely fine with. I do not want grinding on my teeth for fear of setting the nerves off.
He mentioned it could be permanent. I was a little preoccupied at the appointment and that didn’t register until later. How could it become permanent? If it is caused by inflammation of the joint, does that mean the bone position has changed?
Right now my teeth on the right side of my mouth don’t touch at all, even with moving my teeth side to side or grinding. If the dentist has to adjust my teeth, it would be a lot of adjustments!

What could be permanent? The TMJD?
You might find there are a single or couple of excess high spots which, when removed, will let the whole arch drop back into place. It's hard to say without a couple of mounted up study models of your teeth.

What could be permanent? The TMJD?
You might find there are a single or couple of excess high spots which, when removed, will let the whole arch drop back into place. It's hard to say without a couple of mounted up study models of your teeth.

I understood that the occlusion being off could be permanent until adjusted. That is the part I don’t quite understand. The surgeon said that the issue was caused by the joint having inflammation, causing the bite to be slightly off. He didn’t want to adjust my bite because he said the inflammation may go down on its own. It hasn’t yet, and he said it could be permanent and my teeth may need to be adjusted. That is what you were saying about adjusting a spot or two, right?
I just wondered what caused the joint to still be off. If it is still inflammation, will it never go down? Or if it does eventually and my teeth were adjusted, wouldn’t that cause more problems?

That is what you were saying about adjusting a spot or two, right?
I just wondered what caused the joint to still be off. If it is still inflammation, will it never go down? Or if it does eventually and my teeth were adjusted, wouldn’t that cause more problems?

Right.

TMJ can come and go with depressing regularity, it's one of the things which makes it such a pain to work with, you're never certain if it's something you've done to fix it or if it's just spontaneously got better.
If the teeth are clearly in a traumatic occlusion, then adjusting them won't make anything worse.

Right.

TMJ can come and go with depressing regularity, it's one of the things which makes it such a pain to work with, you're never certain if it's something you've done to fix it or if it's just spontaneously got better.
If the teeth are clearly in a traumatic occlusion, then adjusting them won't make anything worse.
I see, thank you. It is better to fix the occlusion issue before it causes damage, I guess. He does want to wait another month just in case. I have never had any issues this bad before. Usually when my bite is off it only lasted a day at most then would go back.

Back