• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question regarding baby teeth?

R

rsahni

Hi,
My son is 26 months old and his front 3 teeth are infected.I took him to the dentist when he was 18 months old and she did pupal treatment in 2 front teeth ,and in the lateral she did the filling as it was close but not that close to the pulp.Today I took him to the different dentist and he saw a bump like a very small white nodule on his lateral incisor ,after taking a look at the radiograph he said there is a infection on all 3 of them and they need to be taken out after taking antibiotic for 10 days.My question is if I give him the antibiotic can I wait for some time and then get the teeth extracted ?Will it affect the permanent teeth in any way?I am really worried about my son aesthetic.

Hi rsahni,

I'm sorry to hear about your son's teeth, but glad you are taking care of the problem. As we are amateurs here we can't really dispense medical advice, but this is certainly a conversation I'd advise you to have with your dentist, or even get a second opinion. Your dentist can explain to you the risks and implications of waiting, and any alternatives that might be available. You really need to understand and be comfortable with the decision you make, and the dentist should be happy to answer questions and give you information about your sons health.

Infected primary incisors at this young age may affect the formation of the adult teeth

Infected primary incisors at this young age may affect the formation of the adult teeth

So that means the best thing to do is take them out. Would you like to keep 3 infected teeth in your mouth? Restoring them originally must have been difficult at that age.
It is unreasonable to worry about missing front baby teeth on a young child i.m.h.o. Kids are supposed to have gaps and poor dental aesthetics say when in the 'ugly duckling' mixed dentition phase.
Your child's health is the most important aspect here seriously it is a no brainer.

You need to get the extractions done straight after the antibiotics so that the dentist can easily get the teeth numb and thereby give your child a decent experience. Infection can make numbing more tricky hence the antibiotics first. baby teeth can be extracted really quickly and easily.

How on earth did they do pulpal treatment on an 18 month old? It would have been much kinder and quicker to just extract then as well surely? Stay with your child and comfort them during this whatever happened last time.

Last edited:
Back