• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Questions about post extractions I forgot to ask the surgeon & it's Saturday

S

sm1943

Questions about post extractions I forgot to ask the surgeon & it's Saturday

I had an extraction on June 16, 2015 that needed something removed after 2 weeks of extreme pain. On Monday, 8/3 I had it removed which hurt like crazy, even with Novocain. Dentist said I was starting all over again as if it was an extraction. He gave me something he called a "Saturday" kit with directions to insert it in the clot. The paste has separated and I'm scared to death to stab the clot with this syringe to insert the paste. Since it's Saturday (pain was ok in morning, but gradually getting worse as day goes on) I'm thinking about using the paste. Last night the pain worsened until I had taken 3 hydrocodone by midnight which I hate to do. I wish I could talk to the oral surgeon, but can't since it's Saturday. These are my questions.
Is it normal for there to be extreme pain at night (very late), but not much during the day after 3 days?
If I lay down during the day, will that lessen the pain in the night?
I was told to insert a paste with a syringe if still painful after 6 days, The paste has separated and there is only oil in the front - is that ok?
Is Chlorhexidine’ gel ok to use after 5 days?
How many times to rinse with salt water after eating? I've been doing once with salt and twice or more with filtered water depending on what I eat.
Do I still need to rinse with salt water in 2-3 weeks or after the clot has gone and socket is closed up?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The pain is already starting to take hold and I've been up for only 4 hours. :cry:

Re: Questions about post extractions I forgot to ask the surgeon & it's Saturday

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I am not a dentist and I am sorry I can't answer your questions.

You can rinse with salt water as often as you wish. It might hurt more at night because you are laying down. I have read that sometimes after extraction people sleep upright. That is usually in the early days after though. I hope someone comes along that can help you soon.

If the meds are not helping and the pain is really bad could you go to the emergency dept or at least give them a ring and ask about the medicine that you have to put into the extraction site, and explain that it has separated and if it is okay to use.

I hope you get out of pain and feel better soon :butterfly::grouphug::grouphug:

Re: Questions about post extractions I forgot to ask the surgeon & it's Saturday

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

"It might hurt more at night because you are laying down."

Thank you so much Carole. But in my case, it's lying down all night that seems to help. When I get up it's fine for a few hours but after that is when the pain starts. That's why I'm wondering if I should lay down more during the day. But it's difficult because I work at home at the computer all day. Thanks again though. :(

Oh I am sorry I mis-understood about the laying down bit. If it is possible and the pain is less if you rest then I think until you can get some advice from a dentist it might be best if you rest more.

I really am sorry I can't be of much help to you in this, I haven't heard of someone having to put stuff into a blood clot before so I am way out of my depth here.

You could try and skype Dr Daniel on here, he is a dentist and is very helpful. I don't know how skype works so I don't know if he would have to be logged on here. If not and you can skype him then give him a try.

I don't think any of the other dentists are on at the moment either. :butterfly:

Back