• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

RCT Tooth sensitive - will Crown Help?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Badchi
  • Start date Start date
B

Badchi

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2010
Messages
53
Hi All,

I had Root Canal on one of my "bottom front incisor" about 5 years ago.
This tooth has been fine but the last 3 months its been a bit irratated and sensitive to touch - not pain but I am lot more aware of it.
E.g. when my tongue touches it I am very aware of it some times causes me to playing with it more with my tongue which makes it worst. I also have a strange tingling/tickley sensation on this tooth and it is slightly tender when I touch it. Eating is fine and I don't feel the sensation when I am eating.

My dentist have xrayed it and see no problems or infection (they even tried me on antibiotics just in case but it made no difference). The teeth is a little darker but other than that they say it is fine. I have also seen another dentist and got the same results.

My question is - will crowning this tooth help? we it be less sensitive when my tongue touches it? or will my only choice be to extract it?

Thanks

Badchi
 
Last edited:
Hey Badchi
It does not sound like a crown can fix it.
It is not clear though what is the problem. *:'( Could it be that the filling of the tooth is a bit not smooth? In that case it is very easy for the dentist to fix;D
 
Hi Dr. Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.

There is no filling on top of this teeth. However, I did have a apicetomy on this tooth about 25 years in which the root was filled due to a fall. Then later had RCT 5 years ago.

Xrays show that the teeth is normal.

I have stopped playing with this teeth but it still feels strange tingling/tickley sensation on this tooth especially when I think about it or after touching it with the tongue and it is slightly tender when I touch it. As I said I don't notice it when eating and chewing gum. But aware of it when when my tongue touches (e.g. when I swallow my tongue brushes against this tooth slighly) hence I was wondering if i had a crown it will be less sensitive when my tongue touches it?

Badchi
 
It is difficult to answer without proper examination.
A crown is probably not going to solve it because applying pressure on the crown applies pressure also on the tooth under.
 
Thanks for your reply.

This tooth and along with another one (a tooth hosting a maryland bridge next to it - both of these are my front bottom teeth) been giving me problems for the last 3 months. Xrays show nothing wrong and I am lost on what to do.

I am seeing accupunture at the moment which is helping a little bit with the aches / pains - I think I will probably wait another couple of months and if still no better then will look at extracting them both as I can't keep living with these pains.

Thanks

Badchi
 
Back
Top