• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

re crowning a rct..

tigerstripedred

tigerstripedred

So I thought I was done all the work in my mouth is 4yrs or newer. Went to get a mouth guard...let them do the bite wings that should have been done in October. and there it was decay under the crown of my rct that is only 2 years old maybe 3. So they removed the permanent crown friday. I'm stuck in a temp till the 20th of january. My question being I know they are fragile and more likely to break when removing a permanent crown...made it through that...what about when taking off the temporary is it just as likely to break?
What makes this happen so soon? did i do something wrong ? I'm obsessive over my teeth ever since I started going back 4 yrs ago. Will this just kerp happening till i lose the tooth? I have crowns on most of my molars all around the same age and I'm worried sick they are all leaking or will soon. They already fight me on only wanting yearly xrays. They'd xray me everytime I walk in the door if they could but that isn't ok with me. I don't want to call the office agai and embarass myself asking questions...I can't even remember if she checked the other xrays...but if those leak I'm guessing it's gonnersville. I honestly expected my crowns to last 20 years as well as I take care of them. now i'm scared I'll lose another in less than 5.
also if they have to pull this one can they do it there. I'm scared they'll send me away this same office did my implant so I'm hoping that if it wasn't straight forward they could still do it. would they do a lot of cutting :(

Last edited:
Temporary crowns are usually fairly easy to remove.
There are all sorts of possible reasons why your crown has failed and without knowing what your dietary habit, oral hygiene and condition of your teeth, the list of reasons can be endless.
The frequency of taking X-ray radiographs in the UK depends on your caries risk (how prone you are to tooth decay). If you are at a high risk then we would normally take them every 6-12 months according to guidelines produced from FGDP(UK).

thank you. i have been panic ridden over the temp removal. I guess it has a lower risk of breakage. as for diet I do not eat sweets or processed foods grains are limited and I am vegan . I rarely drink and do not smoke. Oral hygeine.. i spend 2 or mor hours a day on my teeth. I floss pretty much anytime i chew anything at all and that can be 15 times a day...I'm a marathon runner i eat often. It was fine on xray last year . i let them take yearly's even though i would rather not..
Also my gum measurement are normally a few 1s and the rest 2s and 3s. Only my teeth that had large fillings prior to this dentist has ever needed any treatment...just the ones that had shoddy work from the awful guy i saw in my teen years.

just because it leaked once is it more likely to leak again or is that not typically a worry.

thank you. i have been panic ridden over the temp removal. I guess it has a lower risk of breakage. as for diet I do not eat sweets or processed foods grains are limited and I am vegan . I rarely drink and do not smoke. Oral hygeine.. i spend 2 or mor hours a day on my teeth. I floss pretty much anytime i chew anything at all and that can be 15 times a day...I'm a marathon runner i eat often. It was fine on xray last year . i let them take yearly's even though i would rather not..
Also my gum measurement are normally a few 1s and the rest 2s and 3s. Only my teeth that had large fillings prior to this dentist has ever needed any treatment...just the ones that had shoddy work from the awful guy i saw in my teen years.

just because it leaked once is it more likely to leak again or is that not typically a worry.

Just you mentioning that you're a marathon runner gives off alarm bells. Do you consume mostly carbs, energy bars and drinks? Usually these contain tonnes of sugar........ in the form of glucose, sucrose, maltose etc.
As for the crown leaking........... If the old crown buildup was leaking and below the gum then it can be difficult to provide an adequate seal and hence lead to crown failing.

gentledental - I'm also a marathon runner and most of us do not eat as the stereotype suggests. We tend to be very cautious about carbs and sugar as these, eaten regularly, tend to lead to feeling sluggish. I think a bigger dental concern for us is dry mouth (if we are mouth breathers when we run or from inadequate hydration).

gentledental - I'm also a marathon runner and most of us do not eat as the stereotype suggests. We tend to be very cautious about carbs and sugar as these, eaten regularly, tend to lead to feeling sluggish. I think a bigger dental concern for us is dry mouth (if we are mouth breathers when we run or from inadequate hydration).

Personally i don't think the dry mouth will be a concern just from running.
My assumption was based from various sporty patients who would consume sports drinks just because they think this will boost performance. I think adverts can be extremely misleading.

no I do not eat bars or gels i never even tried them bleck. i use organic pureed fruit for babies on my long runs. The only sweetner I use is honey and since i am a non gmo organic person no sports drinks. I don't keep sugar in my house or sugar subs.The one energy drink i will allow is tea based non carbonated and zero sugar...and you probably only find it in gyms and it is rare. Any carbs I get come from fresh fruit and veggies rarely from a grain. most of my diet is high protein and fat. I did just recently stop taking diet pills but i took them for my entire teens/20s well before any of ths dental work was done

Last edited:
totally a mouth breather at the beginning of my workouts! I am pretty awful at hydrating. I used to chew gum but I'm scared too.

so basically fixing this crown is just going to buy me a year or two again?

no I do not eat bars or gels i never even tried them bleck. i use organic pureed fruit for babies on my long runs. The only sweetner I use is honey and since i am a non gmo organic person no sports drinks. I don't keep sugar in my house or sugar subs.The one energy drink i will allow is tea based non carbonated and zero sugar...and you probably only find it in gyms and it is rare. Any carbs I get come from fresh fruit and veggies rarely from a grain. most of my diet is high protein and fat. I did just recently stop taking diet pills but i took them for my entire teens/20s well before any of ths dental work was done

Im afraid the puréed fruit tends to have tonnes of sugar. Fruits contain natural sugar. Normally if you eat fruit as a whole, you chew it and your mouth releases saliva, which buffers the fruit acids and sugar. However now it has been blended, most of the structure has already been broken down. Some of the processed smoothies have 'added sugar' so they taste better.

Also honey is rich in sugar as well.
In some cultures, honey is provided for medicinal use and all I see are rows of rotten teeth in young children.
Of course if you consume it once a day only or you even consume it in the one go, the detrimental effects are reduced.

Last edited:
i use one pouch on a 2hr run. and honey is sparing I don't use it daily. Not sure what I could actually use on a 2 to 4 hr run that i could carry. they have 2 ingredients whatever fruit they are and water. I don't do smoothies unless i make them myself. If I have fruit at home it is whole.I know honey is sugar...It is just the only sweetner i keep when needed or for cooking.
I am very concious of my sugar intake and spent several years studying nutrition.

Tiger, are you getting any professional support at the moment for body image & eating issues? There are a lot of red flags in this thread (and others) and I'm concerned that talk of further restricting diet and food intake is a very dangerous road to go down, psychologically.

Please do consider seeking support from an appropriately qualified professional if you don't already have some - I think that there's a lot they could do to help you, and the issues here are much wider than dental.

Please take good care of yourself be kind to yourself x Not everything is always your fault, I promise :XXLhug:

The best substitute for sugar is erythritol.

Back