• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really wobbly front tooth

M

MeltedMoments

My top front tooth has been loose for quite a long time. The dentist has seen it (as recently as 5 days ago when I had root canal on a different tooth) and said we just have to see how it goes. It’s been deep cleaned a few times.
This morning I woke up and I have swelling around the loose tooth and it feels really uncomfortable in my mouth.
I rang for an emergency appointment this morning but there was nothing available. I have to wait until my dentist opens tomorrow. I’m in the UK.

I’m so terrified. What will happen if my tooth falls out? How long do I have to wait for a denture?! It’s in such a prominent place at the front that I don’t think I can face going out and seeing people with a big gap.

I suffer with anxiety anyway and this is making me so much worse. I’m so scared.

I had to have my front tooth out due to an abscess from a childhood injury. I am not a dentist, so I can't speak for your situation, but I can't imagine they would pull it the same day you go in. Mine was still infected after a root canal, so I was given antibiotics to get the inflammation down, and they took impressions for an immediate flipper. Then it was scheduled for removal. I had the flipper before they extracted the tooth, so that I never went with a gap. Even if the tooth is infected or irritated, they will most likely give you something to help with that then schedule extraction if needed. I had my abscess, undetected, for around 2 years (according to the endodontist, based on the size).

One of my biggest fears was having my front tooth out, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as I had expected.

Hi MeltedMoments,

sorry to read about your situation, it sounds quite scary and I get your worry about beig left with a gap. I however think that teeth do not fall out as easy as you might think. Let me spread this into two parts.

Firstly the swelling. I would be very surprised if the swelling lead to the tooth falling out or to an emergency extraction. It sounds more like it‘s coming from the gums. Fortunately teeth are held in place by fibres that connect it to the bone, not by gums. As you see a dentist regularly, I am sure there is no huge problem with the tooth itself.

Now the wobbly tooth. You would be surprised how well anchored are teeth in the bone. Even really really wobbly teeth can stay there for a very long time. If there was a risk of the tooth falling out on it‘s own, your dentist would have warned you and most likely arrange an extraction an immediate denture so that you do not have to stay with a gap. Wobbly teeth are caused by bone loss, it doesn‘t have much to do with gums, that‘s why I believe the gum swelling is not connected to the mobility of the tooth.

As MountainMama suggests, the aim is not to leave you with a gap so if the tooth needed to go, your dentist would take care of it.

Hope you can get to your dentist asap.

All the best wishes and keep us posted!

My top front tooth has been loose for quite a long time. The dentist has seen it (as recently as 5 days ago when I had root canal on a different tooth) and said we just have to see how it goes. It’s been deep cleaned a few times.
This morning I woke up and I have swelling around the loose tooth and it feels really uncomfortable in my mouth.
I rang for an emergency appointment this morning but there was nothing available. I have to wait until my dentist opens tomorrow. I’m in the UK.

I’m so terrified. What will happen if my tooth falls out? How long do I have to wait for a denture?! It’s in such a prominent place at the front that I don’t think I can face going out and seeing people with a big gap.

I suffer with anxiety anyway and this is making me so much worse. I’m so scared.
Without knowing your dentist I can assure you that they will not let a patient walk without a front tooth, it is simply unacceptable, dentists acknowledge the fact that people cannot function in society with a missing front tooth.

Thank you so much for your kind and reassuring words. I’ve tried hard to keep the swelling rinsed clean all day and only eaten soft food. I’ll be calling the dentist at 8am and hope I can get an appointment before I have to be in uni at lunchtime. Fingers crossed

Back