• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Replacing an old filling

N

Natzuk

Hi

I just saw a post on here from last year that someone wrote saying they had an old filling replaced but they were in agony while it was being done yet they had a local anaesthetic!

How is that possible ? I really am scared as I need my filling replaced but now I’m more worried 😟

@Natzuk you won't feel a thing if you have anesthetic, when I have had a filling my mouth was numb so I felt nothing. I wouldn't worry about it

How is that possible ?
For some unknown reason; either not enough local given, local put into the wrong place, presence of acute infection making the local less effective or something else. It's nothing to do with the filling being a replacement for an existing one.

In theory at least, replacing a filling should hurt less, the nerve in the tooth has already been a bit traumatised by the original filling and will have sealed itself off a bit from the outside world with some secondary dentine, which would make it a bit less sensitive even without local.

Back