• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Risks of gauze after wizzie extraction?

M

mirla

I find myself not wanting to stop putting gauze in after my extraction yesterday.

I am still bleeding a bit, I haven't eaten anything but milkshakes, and I've been rinsing and applying new gauze after every little snack.

I am also weaning myself down to smaller bits of gauze. But I'm worried that this may be in some way dangerous.

I find the gauze to be a bit of a security blanket. When I wasn't seeing the dentist, I always had a bit of chewing gum in my cheek because I was scared that if it wasn't there, I might feel something I didn't want to. I felt naked without it, and had to wean myself away from it slowly. I'm feeling the same way about this gauze.

Just an update...

This morning, I told myself I'd leave the gauze out for 5 minutes after doing my salt-water rinse. It was very uncomfortable, but I did it.

At my next rinse, I told myself I'd do at least 10 minutes, and then see if I could go for 15. So far, I've been gauze-free for three hours! :jump: I've taken my meds without the gauze, I've swallowed without the gauze, I've talked without the gauze. As you can see, I'm pretty proud of myself.

Still not sure if I can handle dinner without the gauze, but at least I'm no longer petrified of what the oral surgeon would say if I showed up with my gauze still in my mouth at my follow-up appointment. I'm sure I'll be gauze-free by then.

Hey, that's great b :)!! Sounds like you'll be gauze-less pretty damn soon at this rate :).

All the best with the healing :thumbsup:!!

Back