• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal and Post Op Pain Relief fears-Advice needed please!

Aurora10

Aurora10

I have had some toothache these past few weeks and was told I needed a small filling but today I found out that I actually need a RC on one of the teeth that is supporting the bridge I had fitted 2 years ago, (I had trauma to my mouth and was ineligible to have implants).
I'm honestly horrified and really afraid of having it done I have booked sedation for next week to get it over with and am seeing my dentist tomorrow so he can be sure of the diagnosis.
The reason I'm scared is that the last 2 RC's I've had have been extremely painful. I did have one that wasn't at all painful though, why is that?
I'm just concerned that I will be the same amount of pain as I was previously.
I took paracetamol/acetaminophen after the first procedure and it didn't even touch the pain and my dentist prescribed Toradol, and it worked really well.
Since then, (11years ago), I've read that people with a history of asthma shouldn't take anti-inflammatory drugs, and though I don't have asthma attacks from one end of the year, I do carry an inhaler due to past allergies to animal dander, that could occur in the future.
So-IS it something I can/should take for the pain? If not-what CAN I take?
My dentist said he can put something in the IV that is an anti inflammatory, but not like aspirin or advil etc, and I'm wondering if this might help? I'm a little anxious trying new meds, which doesn't help.
Any advice would be appreciated, my procedure is booked for a weeks time and I feel overwhelmed and full of dread.

Thank you!

When you say they were painful, do you mean during the treatment or afterwards? Your subsequent comments about pain relief would suggest afterwards?
Paracetamol is a better anti inflammatory drug than pain killer, the Toradol is a more effective pain killer, neither is a particular risk with asthma, the one to avoid is Ibuprofen. Since the Toradol worked for you before, I'd take it again.
Anti inflammatory in the IV might help, depends on what was actually causing your pain last time.
Sorry, this is all a bit vague :)

I can't take ibuprofen due to a past ulcer. I can only take tylenol, which doesn't do much for pain. I am also super reluctant to take new medications, or anything prescription. My doctor actually suggested Tramadol, which is prescription but not super strong. It has worked well for me after root canals and other surgeries.

I can't take ibuprofen due to a past ulcer. I can only take tylenol, which doesn't do much for pain. I am also super reluctant to take new medications, or anything prescription. My doctor actually suggested Tramadol, which is prescription but not super strong. It has worked well for me after root canals and other surgeries.

Thank you for sharing this, I will ask my dr. I am anxious about taking new meds too but sometimes you have to have then I guess.

When you say they were painful, do you mean during the treatment or afterwards? Your subsequent comments about pain relief would suggest afterwards?
Paracetamol is a better anti inflammatory drug than pain killer, the Toradol is a more effective pain killer, neither is a particular risk with asthma, the one to avoid is Ibuprofen. Since the Toradol worked for you before, I'd take it again.
Anti inflammatory in the IV might help, depends on what was actually causing your pain last time.

Sorry, I've been away for a few days. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Yes, I was referring to pain afterwards. It was just awful and I'm not someone who complains about pain generally.
Oh I see, I got the wrong idea about Toradol then. It really was great the last time and I know I shouldn't be anxious about taking it as I've used it before.
Thank you very much!

I went to a different dentist yesterday for my pre sedation appt and it was a different dentist. He disagreed that I needed a RC after he took another xray and did the cold test which I did feel on the tooth in question. Since the test I've had sharp pain and often on the tooth. So I rang my dentist's sedation co-ordinator today and told her that I'm having pain and she said that they would retest the tooth. Is it possible that 2 dentists can have such different opinions on what is the correct treatment for this tooth? And, the dentist who says it's not a RC is the one who is doing my procedure under sedation next week. Trying not to get too anxious but I feel confused now. I just don't want to be in pain!

I don't think you've said, which tooth are we talking about here? It's not uncommon for a molar tooth to have 3 or 4 different canals inside it, some of which may be dead or dying and causing symptoms and one which is stubbornly hanging on and giving positive results to cold testing...

I don't think you've said, which tooth are we talking about here? It's not uncommon for a molar tooth to have 3 or 4 different canals inside it, some of which may be dead or dying and causing symptoms and one which is stubbornly hanging on and giving positive results to cold testing...
It's actually the canine on the left, the last unit of a 6 unit bridge.
One dentist told me he could clearly see it was infected and needed the RC, said he could see pus even. He said it needed the RC immediately or it would need antibiotics.
The next day the other dentist said he didn't see that it needed the RC at all, and the cold test confirmed I still had feeling in the tooth. Took another xray and said he didnt see a shadow on the tooth, that the dentist was mistaken.
Yesterday though, the pain seemed sharper. Maybe that was because I was thinking about it more often than when I was told I just needed a small filling on the tooth next to it.

It does sound odd that there are such differences of opinion, can't really speculate as to why without at least seeing you.

It does sound odd that there are such differences of opinion, can't really speculate as to why without at least seeing you.

I know, I've never been in this particular situation before and it's unsettling.
Yesterday, I actually booked an appointment with another dentist in town for the day before my treatment, so that I could ask him for his opinion. He's a well-regarded dentist with a lot of experience and I really think it would be helpful to see what he has to say. I would've preferred to go to him for my dental treatment in the first place but he only offers oral sedation and I've been told that that is unreliable. I would prefer no sedation at all but I'm just not there yet, not for a RC anyway; a simple filling I could manage.
My husband agrees and says it's the right thing as we really should know what is going on with those teeth before I go forward with the treatment.
Thing is, if the well-regarded dentist does see an issue, I will then have to tell my dentist that I've gone to someone else and he might feel a little disgruntled, which might make things rather awkward. I know that it's really ok to seek different opinions but I don't want him to be upset with me either!

Back