• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal tomorrow oral sedation

J

Jojo123

I have severe dental phobia and have had IV sedation in the NHS for all dental work since I was 25. I am now 45 and last had a filling 8 years ago.

I had the most horrendous dental pain 3 weeks ago. I attended a private dentist (the only one I could get into) and was advised I need 2 root canals and prescribed antibiotics which settled the pain.

I have explained my phobia. They have given me 2 doses of 20mg temazepam to take tonight and an hour before the appt.

I don’t know if I’ll even be able to sit in the chair tomorrow. I don’t know if oral sedation will be enough.

does anyone have any experience of this. I’m a mess today.

I hope someone was able to ease your mind. I just saw your post and don’t know if you already had your appointment yet. I had oral sedation once but it was a different one than the one you had. I had it for a tooth extraction. It made me feel a little sleepy and just relaxed. It did take away some of the anxiety and allowed the local anesthetic to work better.

Hope it went ok.

Thank you both

it went ok. Only 45 minutes and although I cried I managed to do it.

Thank you both

it went ok. Only 45 minutes and although I cried I managed to do it.
I am glad it went well! I have cried through several appointments so I understand. The important thing is that you finished it!