• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

root tip left in gum now infected

lillyh

lillyh

I had a dentist appoinment today because my back bottom molar(which has a root canal and a crown) was causing me severe pain. When I got to the office the dentist checked my tooth and the area around it and took a couple more xrays...He asked me when I had the wisdom tooth out (the one that sat behind the tooth that was hurting.) I said 2 weeks ago..He said "Hum .that's not good" Which is something a person with an acute fear of all things dentist doesnt want to hear..He said the extraction site had not healed ..He rinsed it out with warm water and felt along my gum line and inside my mouth. He looked at the xrays again..I asked him what was wrong and he said he'd tell me soon..(he definitely is a dentist of few words) So he asked the hygenist to get him some dry socket medicine..He the turned to me and said I had dry socket and a piece of tooth was still in my mouth from the extraction two weeks ago..He said the root migrated out of the socket and into my soft tissue. He showed me the root on the xray..It now is very infected..So he packed my socket with clove dressings and gave me a prescription for antibiotics. He said he was hoping the antibiotics would clear up the infection around the root and that the root would just heal and not cause anymore trouble..So i have to take this antibiotic for 7 days and see I feel better..If not he wil referr me to an oral surgeon who will surgically remove it...So much for my anxiety level today..But it wasn't so bad since my tooth actually quit throbbing, thanks to the cloves, and I'm not eating ibprofen like candy. So if you are having any pain after an extraction just go see the dentist. I told him I didn't think it was dry socket since it had been 7 days after the extract when I started having alot of pain. Now I have to make an appoinment to have my upper crown ground down since my bite has changed since the extraction...And I found out I only have one wisdom tooth left not three..yippeeee...Oh well, all in all, a good visit to the dentist...!!:grin:

Hi and I am glad you managed to get your mouth looked at and a solution to the problem. I hope the antibiotic starts to work soon, you may find if you take it with something dairy, it will help your stomach as antibiotics can cause your stomach to play up a bit. The pro-biotic thingys are also a good idea to take with it.

I wish you luck and I hope things clear up soon. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Back