• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared About Bleeding Gums

S

spooky

I had a deep cleaning done yesterday, about 24 hours ago. The procedure went fine and I came home, rinsed with salt water at hour intervals, bleeding stopped, and I eventually had a meal replacement shake for dinner. Everything was fine, but then I noticed that my gums had started bleeding again and would not stop. I have had this experience before where I have just let my gums "do their thing" and bleed until a little blood clot forms and then washes away later. However, this time my gums are bleeding A LOT and only in one specific area. This area did have a lot of tartar and plaque before the cleaning, so my dentist explained that it might bleed more than others for a bit longer. Fast forward, my gums bled all night and I barely got any sleep because I was worried I would swallow too much blood and become nauseous with a headache. I went to the Dentist office again this morning and he looked at it and wiped away the blood. He said it was normal and to just rinse my mouth with salt water as needed. However, I am getting uneasy with this constant bleeding. The blood kind of overlapped to collect at the top and around this one specific tooth. I am trying not to touch the area too much because it is clotting slowly, so maybe this is what I just need to do. I am just looking for some encouragement that this is something "normal" and that it will stop bleeding with time.

Thank you, I appreciate any support.

Have you asked about tooth pockets? Where I have deeper pockets, the gum bleeding is worse. Something to check into. (Not to freak you out - if you take care of it, you'll be fine. I have two 7 mm's and I'm okay with some gum procedures and good home care.)

Have you asked about tooth pockets? Where I have deeper pockets, the gum bleeding is worse. Something to check into. (Not to freak you out - if you take care of it, you'll be fine. I have two 7 mm's and I'm okay with some gum procedures and good home care.)

I'm still going through the process of having pockets measured to see what's the next course of action after the deep cleaning. My problem right now is that blood seems to have formed a clot around a bottom tooth. I went back to the dentist this morning and he told me everything was fine and explained that my gums were just fighting back and trying to rebuild but it was almost happening too fast. Anyway, my concern is that part of this clot is now turning gray, but other parts is still red. I'm not sure if this is normal and if I should just wait to see if it's going to eventually come off as I've read has happened to other people.

He's going to call me tomorrow afternoon (because they close for the weekend) to see how it is then. At this point I'm trying to calm myself down because anxiety is rising the more I look at this blood in the mirror. In fact, I just noticed that blood seems to have wrapped all the way around the tooth and I'm not sure this is normal.

The back side of it is turning darker but also kind of white at the same time, if that makes sense.

Back