• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

scared about large filling! need support badly...

  • Thread starter Thread starter throughagreyseyes
  • Start date Start date
T

throughagreyseyes

Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2010
Messages
20
I'm hoping for some support in the next half hour. I hadn't been to a dentist in many years and finally went recently, for full x-rays and the exam. I was literally crying real tears went I went in because I am so scared, and called and rescheduled the appointment several times before I went in.
The verdict was that I needed deep cleanings and had 5 cavities. One cavity being very large. The dentist said I should get the cleanings first and then move on the fillings, and do the large one first before it turns into being a root canal.
So I finished the deep cleanings last week, and today I am going in for two fillings. The large filling is one of them and I am terrified. I have picked up the phone twice to call and cancel, but then put it back down. The tooth is #2, which is on the top right all the way in the back next to my wisdom tooth, and I also have the fear of gagging with them working so far back in my mouth.
I did call yesterday and asked how long the appointment would take, and the receptionist said about 35-40 minutes, since the teeth are just two away from each other so I'll already be numb in that area. I was very surprised since one cavity is so large, and assumed I'd be there for more than an hour. Has anyone ever had a large cavity filled? If so, how long did it take and how much did it hurt? Also will I gag with it being in the back of my mouth? Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm terrified right now and I have to leave my house in 30 minutes for the appointment.
 
Hello i am in the same position i have recently had 6 fill ins done at once they were not big but still had to have 4 shots on both sides of the mouth i still have to go back and get 2 large fill ins done on both sides i cancel appointments aswell and want to cancel the one i have on thursday aswell dont worry the worst part is the shots and in my case the waiting in the waiting room they say 4pm to me but usually bring me in at 4 30 wich makes it worse
 
I am due to have a tooth out because part of it broke off and is more filling than tooth!. So I speak as a veteran of many fillings, some deep, some shallow and a couple of root fillings.

The worst thing is the injection. That is never nice for me, I would suggest you ask the dentist for some topical gel, which is a type of lotion which they wipe on the gum, leave a few mins and you won't feel anything, just your mouth going dead. To be honest, having a filling isn't as bad as you could imagine. Its just a lot of noise now and again, a bit of vibration, a little splash of water and a bit of fumbling about and thats it. Its nothing really to worry about. Personally, I usually close my eyes and think of something else. Maybe you could take an Ipod or something.

Important thing to remember is there sould NEVER be any pain whatsoever. If there was, the dentist isn't doing his job right. You just have to relax and let him do the work...which is usually over with quicker than you realise.

You will do fine. Just hang in there, it'll be over before you know it.

8-)
 
Thank you so much for all of your support! I just got home. She said the decay was very close to the nerve and it's borderline if it needs a root canal or just a filled (I'm so freaked out now.) Anyway, she put a sedative filling in it, and said we will see how it goes over the next month. If it's OK, she'll replace it in about 6 weeks with a regular filling. If it's not OK I'll need a root canal. Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe I should start a new post about this question...
Thanks!
 
Back
Top