• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared of having impressions and immediate dentures

B

BerniB

Obviously I am terrified of dentists as wouldn't be on this site but I felt I had to share this with others who are worried. I've been too scared to go to dentist for so many years that I now need all my remaining teeth removed. I finally took the plunge after seeing a photo of myself which I hated. Consultation was not too bad although I was shaking/sweating like mad. Then I had to go back for the impressions. First visit I panicked so badly I couldn't go. I was imagining all sorts of awful things like gagging and choking on the impression material, not being able to swallow etc etc. Actually made myself sick. At the second try (today) I arranged for someone to take me therefore I couldn't chicken out. I have to say the whole experience was so much easier than I thought. They used warm water so that the stuff would set quicker and the whole thing was over in not much more than a minute - top and bottom! My mind was taken off it whilst it was setting by being asked to do various foot exercises. My loose teeth did not fall out either! I think I read too many negative things on the net that made me feel even worse. If you are reading this please be reassured that it's nowhere near as bad as you think! Just make sure you let your fears and worries be known. Next step is getting the wax things. Will update next week.

I'm glad it all went well/better than you initially expected. Isn't it always a pleasant surprise to expect the worse and then it's not so bad? I hope things continue to go good for you. Wishing you the best of luck:clover:

I haven't got to that stage in my journey yet. I go tomorrow to have 6 extracted then heal for 3 weeks. then back to my dentist for the impressions, and a visit once a week for 4 weeks then onto getting the other 6 extracted and an immediate denture on top & a lower partial. I am worried about when it comes time for impressions also.. Have a really loose tooth on top, afraid it will pull it out. everyone assured me that it won't come out, & I will have to pay to still have it extracted lol . I guess we get ourselves all worked up for nothing, :scared:but until you go through it you don't really know what to expect.

Back