• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sensitivity in filling over 2 months after having it done.

rocklover

rocklover

Is this normal? The cavity was caused by not flossing so the dentist had to take the back part of my tooth out and fill it. She did say that although it hadn't reached the nerve, it was a big filling.

The thing is now that I am now experiencing sensitivity to cold in that tooth although the filling was done back in June. I don't eat on that side at the moment due to waiting for a root canal in another tooth (I have been unable to have that finished due to my panic disorder which I'm working on), so I only really notice any sensitivity when I am drinking cold liquids.

When I bite down on the tooth it doesn't hurt at all, if I press it there is a very slight pain...more discomfort really and only on the filled part, not the whole tooth. I should add that I have a crossbite and the teeth on that side meet more heavily when chewing than those on the other side of my mouth.

Also I have moved area since it was done and have been to a new dentist last Friday who said everything looked fine and my teeth were very clean, although she didn't do an x-ray. I did have an x-ray back in May though which is how the cavity was discovered. It doesn't ache or hurt at all unless touched by something cold and it is nowhere near as sensitive as my root canal tooth.

I should also add that most of my teeth are pretty sensitive to cold anyway, so it may be that the filling has just exacerbated this. So what I want to know, is this normal? Or am I going to have to go back to the dentist yet again and beg for an x-ray. I have been so many times since May that I am completely fed up with it all and don't seem to be able to trust when a dentist says I'm ok.

Last edited:
Hi. I cracked a tooth and my dentist filled it. He said you might experience sensitivity on it for a few months and not to be concerned. I have had many fillings and root canals and they always give me sensitivity at times. I was told to use sensodyne toothpaste and it does help. It takes a few weeks to actually work but brush twice a day. Try it and see if you like it. Again I was told this is normal so I hope that helps you out.
Feel good and god bless
Nicole

Tooth nerve (pulp) problems are more diagnosed by signs and symptoms than by radiographs or visual exam.

Thanks for your replies, they were very helpful. I am also suffering from a slightly sensitive/uncomfortable tooth on the side I eat on. I had an x-ray in June, and saw the new dentist last Friday who checked my teeth manually, both appts showed there were no problems so I don't understand why I am getting this discomfort.

I do clench my teeth because of anxiety, so I guess that could be it. I am tempted to go the dentist again, but I know that my teeth are becoming an unhealthy obsession and I am finding that every tiny pain is magnified by my anxiety issues. What is the likelihood that there is a problem?

I am worrying that my obsession is actually causing the pains I am getting. I have been to various dentists so many times in May, June and last week that I can't imagine they would have missed anything, but I am just worried that I will need another root canal, when the other one hasn't even been done yet. :(

Back