• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sharp pain when chewing after a filling

T

toothache7

Hey all, first off thank you for all the information on these forums.

I am a 21 year old college student that goes to school about 150 miles from my home (and my regular dentist). About a month ago I got a standard checkup/cleaning and the xrays showed a very small cavity near the top of one tooth in between two molars on the bottom left.

My dentist said it wasn't a big deal but said that I should get it filled before it develops into something that is a larger problem. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that I would get a sharp pain in that tooth while I was chewing so a week ago I drove home to get my bite adjusted (when I got there he said it was high and drilled it down some).

He told me that it should feel better in a couple of days but despite chewing only on the other side it has not gotten any better for chewing and it has developed an increasing sensitivity to cold which worries me as I haven't seen this listed anywhere as a symptom of having a high bite. It also worries me that a week later it is still no easier for me to chew.

I have an appointment in a week, but I would really like some more information in the mean time before I can get in. What are the symptoms of a high bite? Do they include cold sensitivity and sensitivity to sweets? What things should I ask him to check other than my bite to see if there is another problem?

It is one of those things that makes me see why people don't go to the dentist, that tooth felt perfectly fine a month ago and now I have to think about it whenever I eat or drink something. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sorry, I'm confused, did the dentist do the filling and it's been sensitive since then? Cold sensitivity can be linked to a high bite, but it wouldn't be my first guess.

Sorry, I'm confused, did the dentist do the filling and it's been sensitive since then? Cold sensitivity can be linked to a high bite, but it wouldn't be my first guess.

Correct, it was filled and since then I have had significant cold sensitivity that seems to linger for a few seconds after drinking something cold. I find this very odd considering that it is a composite filling and isn't supposed to conduct heat.

This can happen sometimes with composite, there are a few different reasons why it could be happening which your dentist should explain to you while they're dealing with it.

Back