• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I go for a check-up at the dentist during third lockdown in the UK?

I

ItsBecky

I have a checkup due at the dentist next week, and I was wondering if it will still go ahead, or whether I should go?

I have no problems (apart from my wisdom teeth that need to be removed at some point) and it's literally just a checkup

I have a severe phobia of the dentist anyway, and I'm thinking now that the UK has gone back into lockdown, wouldn't it be better if I gave the appointment to someone who actually needs it?

Also if i do end up needing something done, I will have to do it alone which absolutely terrifies me, so i admit a part of me wants to cancel out of fear, but I also live in an area where cases are very high!

Would anyone be able to help me come to a decision?

Thanks!

I can't help you make the decision for yourself, but I'm in Canada and decided to pass on my last check up due to the virus.

Its a difficult one and there's a chance that your appointment will be cancelled, in which case the decision is out of your hands anyway.

I personally would go. I find that cancelling and avoiding my check ups temporarily make me feel better but the Next time I am due to go, it makes me more anxious and scared.

I have been to the dentist during covid and felt very safe and protected. The staff are being very cautious and careful.

Thanks everyone!

A part of me wants to cancel because I'm scared, but another part of me wants to go ahead with it because then it's out of the way!

It's not an emergency checkup or anything though so I'm partly still hoping they will cancel, at least then it's out of my hands like was said above!

I'm still terrified they will find something and I will have to have the procedure done alone, but I guess the only way I will find out is to go!

At least I know it is safe so that's something!

My appointment is on Monday surely I would have been told by now if it was cancelled?

Some practices are doing routines still, mine isn't but I know others are. I had mine cancelled in June and I think they called me about 2 or 3 days before. Then sods law, they were permitted to reopen and begin treatment but id lost my appointment by then.

Anyway, I digress, if there is an issue its better they spot it nice and early so they can either treat it or keep an eye on it. I always find its the build up which is worse. You will be fine. They will take good care of you, but remind them you're feeling anxious so they can be a bit more mindful

I’m in Scotland and appointments are going ahead. I have a checkup on the 22nd and fully intend to go. I have been to the dentist since lockdown and it is 100 x “safer” than going to the supermarket! I think they were shut for so long partly because the dentists didn’t have the right PPE. My surgery has reduced numbers, masses of cleaning going on, one-way in the waiting room, and each treatment room needs to “air” between patients. They also run through a checklist with you before you go.

Okay I have decided unless they cancel my appointment themselves I will still go! I am terrified still just in case they find something, and I will have to have the treatment done alone. But I know if I keep delaying it I will get more scared, and I just want to get it out of the way now especially as i'm driving myself mad thinking about it and freaking out. Hopefully I'm just massively overthinking this, but I'll update you all as soon as i know what is going on! Whether it get's cancelled or after I've had the appointment! Thanks for all your help :)

Thats really good news. It won't be half as bad as you think, you'll see .... Notice how good i am at telling others this, yet when it's myself I turn into a quivering irrational mess ?

Seriously though you will be fine. Let us know how you get on.

I been to the dentist during covid19 but had to go private, could have my filling in my wisdom tooth and my crown done on NHS, can still remain on NHS this year, unless my appointment gets cancelled in February.

I hate my teeth, I am struggling, even though I go regularly, every three months

Hey everyone! Quick update!

So I survived the checkup and didn't even have a panic attack or anything which is amazing, but I've been told my wisdom teeth need to come out pretty quickly!

I've officially been referred from today to the sedation clinic, the dentist did ask me if I wanted it done normally under local but I said no, I didn't quite catch what he said about them all I heard was they will cause issues if they don't come out.

I'm absolutely terrified of the prospect of having to have the procedure done completely alone, I always thought because of covid having it done at the hospital will be a no no for a while, but now I don't think it will be done at a hospital which means I will have to have it done very soon!

I'm absolutely terrified about the thought of not only having sedation done, but having to do it alone as well as having to have a covid test done too!

But I'm really proud of myself for having a checkup alone, without having a panic attack anyway! So I'm going to try and focus on that for now ☺️

When I had a wisdom tooth out about 14 years ago I had to have it done at the hospital as back then the dentist wouldn't do them as they couldn't do stitches etc. However, my sister had hers out last year and she went to a dental clinic where they do dental surgery and said they were really good.

I think that at the moment people are alot more sympathetic and mindful of extra support being needed because we are having to go to such appointments alone for now. So the dental nurses etc are sort of having to step in as the support when normally you might take your mum or partner with you.

They will take really good care of you but make sure before the appointment you let them know how anxious you are. They will be closely monitoring you because of the sedation and will insist someone collects you afterwards anyway as you'll need someone to keep an eye on you. You will be absolutely fine.

Do you know when your appointment is yet?

When I had a wisdom tooth out about 14 years ago I had to have it done at the hospital as back then the dentist wouldn't do them as they couldn't do stitches etc. However, my sister had hers out last year and she went to a dental clinic where they do dental surgery and said they were really good.

I think that at the moment people are alot more sympathetic and mindful of extra support being needed because we are having to go to such appointments alone for now. So the dental nurses etc are sort of having to step in as the support when normally you might take your mum or partner with you.

They will take really good care of you but make sure before the appointment you let them know how anxious you are. They will be closely monitoring you because of the sedation and will insist someone collects you afterwards anyway as you'll need someone to keep an eye on you. You will be absolutely fine.

Do you know when your appointment is yet?

Hello!

I completely forgot to update everyone again my apologies!

I have booked my removal now, I will be going to a special sedation clinic and I'm going to be honest im terrified!

My appointment is on the 17th march and I do have to go in alone because of covid so I'm even more scared

I appreciate the comment though, and thanks so much for reminding me to update!

But I've made the first step so I am actually quite proud of myself for that!

Probably will update again afterwards! (Hopefully I'll remember!)

☺️

Back