• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I or Shouldn't I?

K

Kelly1007

Junior member
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
7
I had my consultation today about my wisdom teeth, and (no surprise) the doctor wants all four out. I looked at my xrays, and frankly my teeth looked pretty good to me! I really didn't see any issues. The Dr. told me the reasoning for getting them out as mainly to "avoid future problems" such as infections since they're close to the cheeks, and because extraction younger is much easier.

I'm skeptical, and unsure of what to do. I am 23 years old, and while I feel occasional pain from my bottom right tooth, and sometimes a bit of pressure against my cheeks for the top two, this alone is not something I deem worthy of surgery. Reason being, I am TERRIFIED of the sugery. My main fear is the possible problems related to the anesthesia, such as a bad reaction or never waking up (and my surgeon refuses to do it any other way except under I.V. sedation). My other largest fear comes with the recovery, and the many stories I've read of people suffering from months (and sometimes permanent) nerve damage in their lips and chin because of the surgery. I am SO scared of this happening to me!!!:(

The toughie for me is deciding if surgery now is the best course of action. The thing is, the things I'm afraid of (anesthesia and nerve damage) are extremely rare for me IF I get the procedure done now, because I am young. So in that sense its most logical for me to go ahead with my prodecure in a month as planned. But because I am SOO terrified of the surgery/recover/everything, I really dont want to be getting what may very well be unnessicary surgery! I'm not the Dr. but based on my xrays, there really didn't seem to be a big problem! It could be years and years before I actually have a problem with the teeth (if I have one at all). BUT its those years and years passing that make my fears of anesthesia and nerve damage more likely to happen, if I wait now, and then need the teeth out when I'm at a riskier age of 40 or 50!

PLEASE HELP. Any advise on whether I should go ahead with the surgery or hold off?:dunno: Or just anything to calm these fears! I'm already a nervous wreck, I don't know how I am going to get through the next month! :eek:
 
Would this be with GA or just numbed. I would have them done now because although it is easier the younger you are, you also heal quicker when younger either. I think why wait until they cause you problems.

Just my thoughts on the subject, it has to be your choice. Good luck :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:

It will be fine and you will be okay after too. Could you discuss this further with your dentist because you should feel comfortable with your choice. :grouphug::butterfly:
 
I had my consultation today about my wisdom teeth, and (no surprise) the doctor wants all four out. I looked at my xrays, and frankly my teeth looked pretty good to me! I really didn't see any issues. The Dr. told me the reasoning for getting them out as mainly to "avoid future problems" such as infections since they're close to the cheeks, and because extraction younger is much easier.

I'm skeptical, and unsure of what to do. I am 23 years old, and while I feel occasional pain from my bottom right tooth, and sometimes a bit of pressure against my cheeks for the top two, this alone is not something I deem worthy of surgery. Reason being, I am TERRIFIED of the sugery. My main fear is the possible problems related to the anesthesia, such as a bad reaction or never waking up (and my surgeon refuses to do it any other way except under I.V. sedation). My other largest fear comes with the recovery, and the many stories I've read of people suffering from months (and sometimes permanent) nerve damage in their lips and chin because of the surgery. I am SO scared of this happening to me!!!:(

The toughie for me is deciding if surgery now is the best course of action. The thing is, the things I'm afraid of (anesthesia and nerve damage) are extremely rare for me IF I get the procedure done now, because I am young. So in that sense its most logical for me to go ahead with my prodecure in a month as planned. But because I am SOO terrified of the surgery/recover/everything, I really dont want to be getting what may very well be unnessicary surgery! I'm not the Dr. but based on my xrays, there really didn't seem to be a big problem! It could be years and years before I actually have a problem with the teeth (if I have one at all). BUT its those years and years passing that make my fears of anesthesia and nerve damage more likely to happen, if I wait now, and then need the teeth out when I'm at a riskier age of 40 or 50!

PLEASE HELP. Any advise on whether I should go ahead with the surgery or hold off?:dunno: Or just anything to calm these fears! I'm already a nervous wreck, I don't know how I am going to get through the next month! :eek:
I waited until I had pain to have mine out, one at a time, I healed fine in my 30's and am getting the last one done this Sat., and wish I had the other two out before I had painful cavities in them. Can you get a second opinion? that is what i'd do.
 
Back
Top