• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I see professor who has been struck off previously?

C

Chancery

Hi, I unexpectedly got a call from my NHS dental hospital (I'm in UK) about a referral that was made last year, almost a year ago - thanks to Covid! Looking the dentist up tonight, I discovered he has previously been struck off elsewhere and was reinstated in 2015 on a technicality. The problem I have is nothing to do with the issues he was struck off for, but he was found guilty of negligence and his cavalier attitude to patients is not reassuring.

As I have dental phobia, I need to be able to trust my dentist, and I don't feel much trust in one who has previously been struck off. However, this is the time of Covid and I am afraid to ask to see someone different in case I am flat refused or I have to wait another 6 months.

How do I stand as regards refusing to see a dentist? He's a senior consultant with a lot of years experience and a ton of qualifications, but he was still struck off at the end of the day, for fairly serious medical oversights.

Has anyone had any experience of refusing a dentist at a dental hospital? Is it a bad idea, especially just now? Should I just go see him and see how I like him? I know me, I'll worry if I see him and don't like him that I've made a mistake and spoilt my chance of seeing someone decent. But I'll also feel stupid if they refuse me and I lose my chance, or if I see someone different and they are crap! I just do not know what to do and would like some advice.

Hi, I've got no personal experience with the scenario you're describing, but your lack of trust in someone who has previously been struck off is very understandable ☹.

Perhaps you could speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Officer at the hospital to explain the situation, see what the procedure is for requesting a switch, and also if it would impact on waiting time with the current COVID situation? There's a search function for PALS on the NHS website:

Hi, I've got no personal experience with the scenario you're describing, but your lack of trust in someone who has previously been struck off is very understandable ☹.

Perhaps you could speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Officer at the hospital to explain the situation, see what the procedure is for requesting a switch, and also if it would impact on waiting time with the current COVID situation? There's a search function for PALS on the NHS website:

Thanks for replying. I've decided to go see him and make my own mind up. If I don't like him I'll ask to see someone different for any follow-up treatment. I figure it's better both to see him for myself and to get my foot in the door, as it were, than to start messing about with it before I've even started. Getting appts at all is too precarious at the moment! And thank you for the Patient Advice info, I can use that if I don't like him and find myself stuck in a difficult situation, or if they refuse to let me see someone else. I didn't even know the service existed!

That sounds like a plan ? -please keep us updated! Best of luck ???

Thanks for replying. I've decided to go see him and make my own mind up. If I don't like him I'll ask to see someone different for any follow-up treatment. I figure it's better both to see him for myself and to get my foot in the door, as it were, than to start messing about with it before I've even started. Getting appts at all is too precarious at the moment! And thank you for the Patient Advice info, I can use that if I don't like him and find myself stuck in a difficult situation, or if they refuse to let me see someone else. I didn't even know the service existed!
Hey do you mind if I private message you? I think I might be seeing the same person and wanted to know how you got on?

I'm just going to reply to your query on what I hope is a private message!

I'm just going to reply to your query on what I hope is a private message!

This doesn't sound too confident so I thought a bit of technical help may be of use: on the top right part of the window here you can find your nickname. Next to it there is an envelope symbol. If you click on it and chose "start a conversation" it takes you to the private message part of the page. In the field "Recipients" you simply start to write the nickname of the person you want to message. As you do this, there will be suggestions coming from the drop down menu so that you can click on the right name. The writing works like here in the posts and you sent it by clicking on "Start conversation" :)
I guess you found out by yourself in the mean time, but just to be sure..

This doesn't sound too confident so I thought a bit of technical help may be of use: on the top right part of the window here you can find your nickname. Next to it there is an envelope symbol. If you click on it and chose "start a conversation" it takes you to the private message part of the page. In the field "Recipients" you simply start to write the nickname of the person you want to message. As you do this, there will be suggestions coming from the drop down menu so that you can click on the right name. The writing works like here in the posts and you sent it by clicking on "Start conversation" :)
I guess you found out by yourself in the mean time, but just to be sure..

Many thanks for this. I'm used to messaging being clearly marked as private on forums. On here it kind of looks like a "conversation" where anyone might chip in, or be able to read it. As we were discussing a dentist who was struck off I didn't want to name names! Thanks for the reassurance.

It’s a bit confusing, isn’t it? Most forum software calls them private messages, but for some unfathomable reason, they’re called “conversations” on Xenforo (which is the forum software we use here). As Enarete said, they’re exactly the same thing ?

Back