• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Side Effects to Locals

I think I’d have walked out when he said he’s been dreading the appointment too. Yikes. Way to instill confidence in a dentist.
I darn near did, but it took so much to get there emotionally speaking that once there, I just kinda blew it off and wanted to get it over with. Pretty crumby stuff.

Wow. That is awful. I cannot imagine a dentist saying they were dreading the appointment also.
I have issues getting numb, and my dentist has never once stopped a procedure or gotten angry with me. He always jokes about it, and says they are not stingy with the "juice", as he calls the anesthetic. He tests for numbness by prodding my gums with that metal pokey thing. If I wince during a procedure, (and I have plenty of times), he stops and gives another shot.

I am so sorry you had to deal with that. I would have been in tears. I think it is time to find another dentist!
I held back the tears. Honestly, I didn't want to give him that much. I get that dealing with nervous people is hard for some, but once he accepted me as a patient, I pretty much feel that HE was the one that needed to suck it up. On the other hand, maybe it's good. If my nervousness made him feel that way, maybe I am better off. Just know, I was really cool about the entire thing, especially when the numb jazz did not bother me. So, flinching or not.... out I go...

yeah , wow mmt.. very sorry as well.. I agree with mountain mama I'd probably be in tears as well. This sounds awful. seems really unprofessional at best.seems he went from bad to worse.. I can see how this would definately leave a bad taste in your mouth so to say..

You deserve kind , patient, treatment that takes into consideration your comfort and respects your needs and feelings!

I hope you could find a more kind dentist that will treat you right and kindly. There are definately some very caring dentists out there that would not act like this to you!

Very unprofessional of him. Find another dentist. You deserve better care than that. I'm having concerns with my dentist as well and am getting the distinct impression that neither he nor his assistants are too keen on working with me to get through this. It's difficult enough just to get in the door, much less have the actual dental work done. I think some dentists can't comprehend how difficult it is for us and just don't have the patience to work with someone who is nervous/afraid.

Very unprofessional of him. Find another dentist. You deserve better care than that. I'm having concerns with my dentist as well and am getting the distinct impression that neither he nor his assistants are too keen on working with me to get through this. It's difficult enough just to get in the door, much less have the actual dental work done. I think some dentists can't comprehend how difficult it is for us and just don't have the patience to work with someone who is nervous/afraid.
I'm sorry to read this. If only we were robots that didn't have feelings that others don't have the fortitude to tolerate, they'd be happy. I get it, though. People who are fearful of all or parts of the dentistry world can be a strain on their bottom line and schedules. But we are here because we are trying to overcome our fears. You would think/hope more dentists would appreciate the efforts we all make to get through it all and maybe find some pride when they help us get the care they always insist we must receive!

I think the majority understand it on an intellectual level, but the understanding doesn't seem to translate into actual caring. Too bad. For everyone.

Sorry to read what happened and being brought to tears, or even almost to tears by a dentist you decided to trust, despite the anxiety hurts. It is not possible to see the whole context from a single post but what I got is the sense of disappointment and hopelessness on your side and a sense of honesty and rejection from your dentist. The only thing I was wondering is this: did this dentist feel like a good fit at the beginning for you and now it changed or was is a compromise from the beginning on?

I know it is easy to judge all dentists now, after this experience you had, but keep in mind, as in every profession, there are different dentists with different qualities, different level of skills and different personalities and there really is a fit for everyone. Keeping my fingers crossed for you to find someone who can give you the feeling of being taken care of in a way you need.

Well done on the injection thought, glad you had a different experience this time. Also really well done on voicing your needs and concerns.

Sorry to read what happened and being brought to tears, or even almost to tears by a dentist you decided to trust, despite the anxiety hurts. It is not possible to see the whole context from a single post but what I got is the sense of disappointment and hopelessness on your side and a sense of honesty and rejection from your dentist. The only thing I was wondering is this: did this dentist feel like a good fit at the beginning for you and now it changed or was is a compromise from the beginning on?

I know it is easy to judge all dentists now, after this experience you had, but keep in mind, as in every profession, there are different dentists with different qualities, different level of skills and different personalities and there really is a fit for everyone. Keeping my fingers crossed for you to find someone who can give you the feeling of being taken care of in a way you need.

Well done on the injection thought, glad you had a different experience this time. Also really well done on voicing your needs and concerns.
I had completely and honestly described my concerns to him when we first met. based on our conversation I felt there was a mutual understanding. The problem was only my concern regarding the side effects as previously mentioned. I briefly spoke to him again when I had my teeth cleaned a couple of weeks ago. Same page, as before. When the injections were fine, I was so happy! That he told me he dreaded my appointment was a complete surprise to me. And then when I was fine and the only trouble was he couldn't get me numb enough, he bailed on me. I can't get into his head to understand his thinking much less feelings, but know for sure that he was not honest with me, while I was with him. I do feel betrayed and hurt.

I had completely and honestly described my concerns to him when we first met. based on our conversation I felt there was a mutual understanding. The problem was only my concern regarding the side effects as previously mentioned. I briefly spoke to him again when I had my teeth cleaned a couple of weeks ago. Same page, as before. When the injections were fine, I was so happy! That he told me he dreaded my appointment was a complete surprise to me. And then when I was fine and the only trouble was he couldn't get me numb enough, he bailed on me. I can't get into his head to understand his thinking much less feelings, but know for sure that he was not honest with me, while I was with him. I do feel betrayed and hurt.
I've completely and honestly explained my concerns to my dentist as well and I don't think he or his staff totally get it. I'm absolutely not comfortable with doing IV sedation or any sort of deeper sedation for my wisdom teeth - all but one are fully erupted, by the way - and would prefer to break up the appointments so as to make it more manageable for me. My dentist and staff seemed to be ok with that to an extent, but when I was there the other day for severe jaw clenching/discomfort, both assistants came in and were insisting I do IV sedation at the oral surgeon's office. One of them came in saying rather loudly and in an exasperated tone, "Well, if you're that nervous, you really need to do the IV" and then went on to try and frighten me into going that route by implying how uncomfortable the experience would be were I not sedated.

I've already explained to them I do not want to do IV sedation. I don't want the risks, however small they may be, don't want to have to fast beforehand, and don't want to deal with the potential after effects, such as grogginess or upset stomach from the anesthesia. And I'd prefer not needing someone to stay with me the rest of the day, which they say is necessary after IV sedation.

I hadn't said anything or behaved in any sort of way at the appointment the other day that would call for the assistant saying that. She and the dentist know I am nervous when I come there and I've explained on many occasions that it's due to a traumatic childhood dental experience. I've always managed to do fine once I'm in there and as long as the dentist talks me through it, explains what he's doing and chit-chats about ordinary things while he's working on my teeth instead of talking over me, as some dentists have done in the past.

I've completely and honestly explained my concerns to my dentist as well and I don't think he or his staff totally get it. I'm absolutely not comfortable with doing IV sedation or any sort of deeper sedation for my wisdom teeth - all but one are fully erupted, by the way - and would prefer to break up the appointments so as to make it more manageable for me. My dentist and staff seemed to be ok with that to an extent, but when I was there the other day for severe jaw clenching/discomfort, both assistants came in and were insisting I do IV sedation at the oral surgeon's office. One of them came in saying rather loudly and in an exasperated tone, "Well, if you're that nervous, you really need to do the IV" and then went on to try and frighten me into going that route by implying how uncomfortable the experience would be were I not sedated.

I've already explained to them I do not want to do IV sedation. I don't want the risks, however small they may be, don't want to have to fast beforehand, and don't want to deal with the potential after effects, such as grogginess or upset stomach from the anesthesia. And I'd prefer not needing someone to stay with me the rest of the day, which they say is necessary after IV sedation.

I hadn't said anything or behaved in any sort of way at the appointment the other day that would call for the assistant saying that. She and the dentist know I am nervous when I come there and I've explained on many occasions that it's due to a traumatic childhood dental experience. I've always managed to do fine once I'm in there and as long as the dentist talks me through it, explains what he's doing and chit-chats about ordinary things while he's working on my teeth instead of talking over me, as some dentists have done in the past.
In any profession there are those that dislike being challenged or asked questions, especially if it asks them to confront their preconceived ideas or practices. Dentist or mechanic, I think you have seen it in life.

I'm sorry you were treated that way. If it helps you at all, I have had my wisdom teeth out with nothing but injections and it was totally fine! I promise. Was it nice? No. Did it hurt? Nope. I think they like it better for themselves than for us. It makes it easier for them. When I did have conscious sedation it was fine, too. I went out, woke up, sat around for half hour, went home and slept it off. In a few hours I was good to go! I didn't need anyone to stay with me, although maybe it would make you feel better to have some company :)

I feel the same with injections. Everyone told me it was anxiety, a panic attack.. until I nearly passed out. In the end it was the adrenaline in the injections, possibly mixing with my medication.. But it sounds as though you're already having numbing without that?
It took a patient dentist to be kind enough to give me time and understanding.. the one it began with was adamant it was all in my head, same again with a second, then I went private and that dentist gave me more than 5 minutes, listened and figured out what was going on.. but I also made sure I took my husband as I did feel funny after injections and wanted peace of mind I'd have someone by my side. Do you have someone to ease your fears, and help fight your corner if you need it?

That dentist should be ashamed. Is he close to retirement or something? He sounds as though he couldn't care less. I'd have recorded my experience (judging by the past ones) and then complained, tbh I'd complain anyway. People shouldn't be reduced to tears, esp by someone in a trusted position.

Find another. Maybe email them your concerns, continue to be honest, and see who responds and what they offer. I've done this before, some don't respond, some were really clear about being able to help and how. Don't be put off by this person, don't let them set you back x

Thanks. He does not offer it. And it is not a panic attack. It is a real physiological response to one or more ingredients. I do realize that when I have a negative response, my anxiety goes through the roof. That's the part I need to deal with, I guess. The alternative is not what I would choose. Thanks again. Very Much.

Have you had tests to see if you truly are allergic to any of the ingredients in the LA? I'm so sorry that you were treated so poorly, that's really not ok.

Last edited:
I think you should get a different dentist with a better attitude. You want one that makes you comfortable. The symptoms you describe are the precursor to synoscope. If this happens with other things like getting a flu shot then it is not an allergy. What happens is basically your blood pressure drops to the point you almost black out. It doesn’t need to be like this. I used to feel the same and get all worked up even briefly nauseous and hot flashes then a cold sweat. I decided not to, and it used to be real hard to put myself into the zone, but each time it got easier and my experience got better. It sounds crazy stupid but facing my fear helped, and it really doesn’t bother me anymore hardly at all. I went and got a flu shot (Preservative-free quadrivalent) I got my Tetnus shot updated, etc. Do things to face your fear and put yourself in the zone. I used to close my eyes and not look. I tell myself it is not going to happen and it doesn’t. You are not probably Not allergic to any of the modern amine antestitics dentists use because allergies are exceptionally rare. They don’t use Novacaine anymore because it was an eater and about 1 in 20 had some reaction. What they use now is quit safe to the point an entire football stadium has fewer than a handful of folks truly Allergic! There are dentists practicing 20 years who have never seen a true allergic reaction to local anesthesia, but they see anxiety daily!

The worst thing is when you feel an anxiety attack, like you describe you think something went wrong, and are immediately fearful you are dying of an allergic reaction, and then you feel worse. You need to know you are okay to feel okay.

Just ask your dentist his opinion of using Articane if you sometimes have Felt the slightest pain in the past. It’s about 1.5 times more effective at blocking the sodium channels, and it is 4% vs 2% ultimately making it 3 times more potent than lidocaine. It passes lipid barriers better, has better profusion through soft bone. Lastly both are extremely safe and wear off in roughly the same amount of time. I am a red head and lidocaine always made it where I can tolerate a procedure, but it would feel like 7 out of 10 sensitivity like pain like the air and water exhaust were ice cold and the drill was a hot poker. It felt tolerable but just barely for me. If I complained I would end up getting as many as 7 injections and end up numb for 6 to 7 hours after, yet it worked 100% only half the time.

Then I had a dentist try Articane on me and it made a world of difference. You also need to sit and relax 3 to 5 minutes after getting the juice for it to fully work! I never thought you could fill a tooth with one shot nor did I think it possible to not feel pain. I was wrong. I experienced no pain for the first time in my life. I honestly couldn’t tell if he was drilling a top or bottom tooth! A perfect 0 for pain. Honestly, I calmed to the point I felt like I was in deep meditation almost like sleeping. When it was over I felt rested and refreshed. I felt great.

You will get through this and not only survive, but you will thrive. Please find a caring dentist who doesn’t talk down to you like he is trying to fire a patient for being apprehensive. With the right dentist, numbing meds, desensitization, and putting yourself in your zone, you could have a very positive experience. I wish you could experience my dentist. He would do a great job, make you feel good about yourself, and you wouldn’t feel any pain.

If you feel like you are passing out, squeeze all your chest muscles and legs like fighter pillows do. It will raise your blood pressure just a bit and reduce symptoms and duration. It also changes your focus.

Last edited:
I think you should get a different dentist with a better attitude. You want one that makes you comfortable. The symptoms you describe are the precursor to synoscope. If this happens with other things like getting a flu shot then it is not an allergy. What happens is basically your blood pressure drops to the point you almost black out. It doesn’t need to be like this. I used to feel the same and get all worked up even briefly nauseous and hot flashes then a cold sweat. I decided not to, and it used to be real hard to put myself into the zone, but each time it got easier and my experience got better. It sounds crazy stupid but facing my fear helped, and it really doesn’t bother me anymore hardly at all. I went and got a flu shot (Preservative-free quadrivalent) I got my Tetnus shot updated, etc. Do things to face your fear and put yourself in the zone. I used to close my eyes and not look. I tell myself it is not going to happen and it doesn’t. You are not probably Not allergic to any of the modern amine antestitics dentists use because allergies are exceptionally rare. They don’t use Novacaine anymore because it was an eater and about 1 in 20 had some reaction. What they use now is quit safe to the point an entire football stadium has fewer than a handful of folks truly Allergic! There are dentists practicing 20 years who have never seen a true allergic reaction to local anesthesia, but they see anxiety daily!

The worst thing is when you feel an anxiety attack, like you describe you think something went wrong, and are immediately fearful you are dying of an allergic reaction, and then you feel worse. You need to know you are okay to feel okay.

Just ask your dentist his opinion of using Articane if you sometimes have Felt the slightest pain in the past. It’s about 1.5 times more effective at blocking the sodium channels, and it is 4% vs 2% ultimately making it 3 times more potent than lidocaine. It passes lipid barriers better, has better profusion through soft bone. Lastly both are extremely safe and wear off in roughly the same amount of time. I am a red head and lidocaine always made it where I can tolerate a procedure, but it would feel like 7 out of 10 sensitivity like pain like the air and water exhaust were ice cold and the drill was a hot poker. It felt tolerable but just barely for me. If I complained I would end up getting as many as 7 injections and end up numb for 6 to 7 hours after, yet it worked 100% only half the time.

Then I had a dentist try Articane on me and it made a world of difference. You also need to sit and relax 3 to 5 minutes after getting the juice for it to fully work! I never thought you could fill a tooth with one shot nor did I think it possible to not feel pain. I was wrong. I experienced no pain for the first time in my life. I honestly couldn’t tell if he was drilling a top or bottom tooth! A perfect 0 for pain. Honestly, I calmed to the point I felt like I was in deep meditation almost like sleeping. When it was over I felt rested and refreshed. I felt great.

You will get through this and not only survive, but you will thrive. Please find a caring dentist who doesn’t talk down to you like he is trying to fire a patient for being apprehensive. With the right dentist, numbing meds, desensitization, and putting yourself in your zone, you could have a very positive experience. I wish you could experience my dentist. He would do a great job, make you feel good about yourself, and you wouldn’t feel any pain.

If you feel like you are passing out, squeeze all your chest muscles and legs like fighter pillows do. It will raise your blood pressure just a bit and reduce symptoms and duration. It also changes your focus.
Thanks for the lengthy reply. As I said in a previous post, I had no problems with the injections at last appointment. It seems that the trouble was that the former dentist injected into a vein and it went very quickly into my blood stream. I do intend to find someone that isn't harsh. I am a good patient, not judged by my own estimation, but by my physicians and former dentist. Now that I know I won't die from any side effect, I am good with it. Again, thanks for the reply.

Not only are you not going to die, you will be profoundly numb and relax. Personally I find the articaine my dentist uses very effective when it is right for the procedure. Articane is often Avoided for block anesthesia which is the rear most molars of the lower jaw. Regardless, get a dentist who cares.

You can tell the drug by the colored band on the Carpule Articane is typically gold With the most common amount of epi.

In contrast Lidocaine usually has a red band with the most common amount of epi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have resolved it last visit, thank you, and was aware of this beforehand. Thanks

Back