• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Signs of Needing Root Canal

N

needlephobic

A month ago I had a deep filling done in an attempt to avoid a root canal. I’m scared it didn’t work and am wondering what the signs are for this that would suggest a root canal is needed? I’ve never had anything other than fillings done so I’m terrified of needing more than this and not being able to handle it.

A month ago I had a deep filling done in an attempt to avoid a root canal. I’m scared it didn’t work and am wondering what the signs are for this that would suggest a root canal is needed? I’ve never had anything other than fillings done so I’m terrified of needing more than this and not being able to handle it.

I had my first root canal a few years ago and I was terrified as well. It actually was not nearly as bad as I had imagined. It sounds scary but really is just like a longer filling. I did ask for nitrous oxide to help me get through (my first experience with nitrous as well) and that helped a lot for my anxiety.
Have you had any pain that would indicate the tooth needs a root canal? Any lingering pain with hot or cold foods/drinks? Any spontaneous sharp or shooting pain or throbbing?

Thanks for the reassurance. Unfortunately my dental office does not have the ability to provide nitrous oxide so this isn’t an option for me. I may have to ask for medication to take if it comes to that. I have had pain. It went away about a week after the filling but came back 2 weeks ago. I’ve been avoiding hot and cold drinks/food but when I go out for walks (even with a mask on) the cold air increases the pain. Every once in a while I do get a sharp pain that goes away right after and then it goes back to more of a dull pain. This is usually normal for me after a filling but not for this long and I’ve never had it go away and come back a few weeks later so that kind of has me worried.

Thanks for the reassurance. Unfortunately my dental office does not have the ability to provide nitrous oxide so this isn’t an option for me. I may have to ask for medication to take if it comes to that. I have had pain. It went away about a week after the filling but came back 2 weeks ago. I’ve been avoiding hot and cold drinks/food but when I go out for walks (even with a mask on) the cold air increases the pain. Every once in a while I do get a sharp pain that goes away right after and then it goes back to more of a dull pain. This is usually normal for me after a filling but not for this long and I’ve never had it go away and come back a few weeks later so that kind of has me worried.

You could always get an oral sedative to take before. I have done that before also, and it helps.
I would give it some time, though. Deep fillings can take awhile to settle.

I had my second root canal in my dentist office where they do not offer nitrous either. I was able to make it through that one without nitrous. I had built up my anxiety and fear so much with the first one and it wasn’t so bad.

Why do you think it didn't work? Are you having pain?

I had a root canal about 10 years ago. A couple of months beforehand I had pain in the tooth on biting down, that eased after a few days and then I got a gum abscess and a slight bit of facial swelling. I had no sensitivity to hot or cold.

What makes you think your filling hasnt worked?

I had a deep filling in a tooth that eventually required a root canal. Ans mg experience was the same as Mum of boys. Pressure when biting down. Then a lot of swelling. I think the tooth also cracked. I too was a wreck before my root canal and my lovely dentist gave me an anxiety pill to take the night before and the morning of and honestly the root canal was fine. Almost relaxing.
After deep fillings my teeth need some time to settle down. My husband is the same way too.

ask your dentist for Valium. Its helped me for the most part.

Back