• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Single tooth denture

B

B

I have a gap in my teeth at the side on the bottom that I have been given a number of options on how to close it.

One of the options is to put a single tooth denture there (the cheapest option apart from leaving it). Do these fit properly and stay in place? my dentist mentioned there is a risk of inhaling it...

Last edited:
I am in the same position as you only my gap is on my upper at the side. I never thought about inhaling one. Oooooh I think I may need to look into this more.

I am seeing my dentist next month to discuss this, I thought they had clips on that went around existing teeth to hold them in place. I would think that if you removed it at night it might be okay.

I am thinking they must be safe because if they were that easy to inhale surly it would be dangerous.

I am hoping a dentist comes on and answers this for you, I am very interested in the answer. Would a bridge be an option for you.

There was a design of partial denture popular in the US called a "Nesbit" they were prone to being inhaled and are almost never done any more (I hope!).

If the dentist is suggesting of one of these, I suggest you have a very long think about it...

A conventional partial denture is a whole different animal and almost impossible to swallow or inhale.

I think it if has a clip, Carole, it's a bridge? This is another option for me. Before I had the teeth taken out a bridge was the plan that I had discussed with the dentist, but afterwards the dentist said he wasn't sure that the teeth that would be supporting the bridge were strong enough, and I'm pretty worried about damaging what I have left...

I am in the same position as you only my gap is on my upper at the side. I never thought about inhaling one. Oooooh I think I may need to look into this more.

I am seeing my dentist next month to discuss this, I thought they had clips on that went around existing teeth to hold them in place. I would think that if you removed it at night it might be okay.

I am thinking they must be safe because if they were that easy to inhale surly it would be dangerous.

I am hoping a dentist comes on and answers this for you, I am very interested in the answer. Would a bridge be an option for you.

I think it if has a clip, Carole, it's a bridge?

No, I'm afraid that's completely wrong. If it has clips it's a denture. Do a bit of googling for dental bridges :)

I have a bridge and a bridge goes over the gap or gaps, they anchor it on the teeth at either side of it.

Mine is to cover 2 gaps and looks like 4 teeth, in my mouth at the back top I have my own tooth, then a gap, another of my own teeth then a gap.

My bridge looks like 4 teeth and the ones that go over my own teeth are hollow and are cemented to my own teeth that have been prepared prior to it being fixed on. The teeth to cover the gaps also look like teeth.

It doesn't come out and looks and feels like real teeth. I hope I have explained it so you can understand. I have had it for a lot of years now and I like it. :butterfly:

A bridge is fixed in place and is not removable. A denture is removable.
In my experience most folks who have a denture made to replace a single missing tooth don't actually wear them.

Hi, my husband had a single tooth denture at the front, and it kept falling out, especially if he drank anything hot, sneezed or coughed. He hated it, and after a few months happily replaced it with a bridge. He is still happy with his decision, about ten years later. I'm just impressed he can go through things without being terrified! Hope this information is useful.

Back