D
Davee
Well-known member
- Joined
- Mar 20, 2013
- Messages
- 138
Went in today for my top arch deep cleaning. This is a repeat because my new dentist believes my first deep cleaning done by my original dentist (2 months ago) was so bad I should "ask for your money back". lol I really want to trust him, and since he did a bottom arch deep cleaning for free, and fixed my broken silver fillings I am hopeful.
So I go in today and surprise, surprise I am told that not all of my teeth on the top need a deep cleaning, only the molars and premolars. Yes!!! She explains I have two molars with pockets of 4mm and two with 5mm. Bummer! So she works her magic and I find her cleaning one of my canines with her ultrasonic tool. This is the canine next to my missing teeth that I am getting (if all goes right) implants. This one tooth has a black spot at the gumline that I am sure is a surface cavity, so I hold my breath (you have to hold your breath because you are getting "waterboarded" during a deep cleaning) and hope I don't hear bad news. She tells me she cleaned that black spot off and it was only tarter. Yes!!!!!!!
Next she tells me I do not have to go in for another three months. Usually they want to see me in a month, but my bottom teeth all have pockets of three after my deep cleaning two weeks ago. So since I am healing so well, and am very diligent in my oral health I don't need to come back for three months. She tells me I can
come back in a month for a polish if I want. I really don't. I am not worried that my teeth are not smooth enough because I know I brush and floss enough to prevent tarter. She tells me that I should then just have regular six month cleanings.
Since I am doing so well I think I may go ahead and get braces as planned. I need to talk to the dentist at length about this because some of my molars have 2mm bone loss. The orthodontist does not seem concerned about this, but I need to keep all my 25 teeth. So I will be conservative in my treatment. But if I can get braces this will be awesome! And I am scheduled to have the put on in two weeks. This can be pushed forward a bit. But all in all I feel good about this. And this has been the best week I have ever had with my flipper. I am going to ask my new dentist to make a new flipper because I want a spare, and I can also judge just how hard life will be if he (a competent dentist) has problems making the flipper. Due to my overbite the flipper fit has been a nightmare. This is why I want braces to improve my bite because if I need partials for life then I want my teeth in place so they fit. Plan A is implants for my missing teeth and life goes on. Plan B is nothing goes right, I need a partial top plate, and I need it to fit without shaving down or crowning bottom teeth-this is where the braces come in to correct the bite.
Another $300 spent ($4600 total) but I think it was well worth it. I am now a dental phobe in recovery, and will spend all that I can to save my teeth, and keep my mouth healthy.
The funny thing is that today I woke up with chest pain. I knew it was because of my dental visit and crushed the thought of cancelling it. It is funny how your mind tries to create physical symptoms so you can avoid your biggest fears and anxieties. I have good reason to be afraid of anyone who works on my mouth. I will not feel guilty about this as I have been treated by a sadist in the past. But I would not let that stop me today. No, not at all.
We all developed dental phobias because the three laws of treament were not adhered to . These are:
"Don't hurt me"
"Heal me"
"Be nice to me"
That's all we want. That is not too much to ask.
So I go in today and surprise, surprise I am told that not all of my teeth on the top need a deep cleaning, only the molars and premolars. Yes!!! She explains I have two molars with pockets of 4mm and two with 5mm. Bummer! So she works her magic and I find her cleaning one of my canines with her ultrasonic tool. This is the canine next to my missing teeth that I am getting (if all goes right) implants. This one tooth has a black spot at the gumline that I am sure is a surface cavity, so I hold my breath (you have to hold your breath because you are getting "waterboarded" during a deep cleaning) and hope I don't hear bad news. She tells me she cleaned that black spot off and it was only tarter. Yes!!!!!!!
Next she tells me I do not have to go in for another three months. Usually they want to see me in a month, but my bottom teeth all have pockets of three after my deep cleaning two weeks ago. So since I am healing so well, and am very diligent in my oral health I don't need to come back for three months. She tells me I can
come back in a month for a polish if I want. I really don't. I am not worried that my teeth are not smooth enough because I know I brush and floss enough to prevent tarter. She tells me that I should then just have regular six month cleanings.
Since I am doing so well I think I may go ahead and get braces as planned. I need to talk to the dentist at length about this because some of my molars have 2mm bone loss. The orthodontist does not seem concerned about this, but I need to keep all my 25 teeth. So I will be conservative in my treatment. But if I can get braces this will be awesome! And I am scheduled to have the put on in two weeks. This can be pushed forward a bit. But all in all I feel good about this. And this has been the best week I have ever had with my flipper. I am going to ask my new dentist to make a new flipper because I want a spare, and I can also judge just how hard life will be if he (a competent dentist) has problems making the flipper. Due to my overbite the flipper fit has been a nightmare. This is why I want braces to improve my bite because if I need partials for life then I want my teeth in place so they fit. Plan A is implants for my missing teeth and life goes on. Plan B is nothing goes right, I need a partial top plate, and I need it to fit without shaving down or crowning bottom teeth-this is where the braces come in to correct the bite.
Another $300 spent ($4600 total) but I think it was well worth it. I am now a dental phobe in recovery, and will spend all that I can to save my teeth, and keep my mouth healthy.
The funny thing is that today I woke up with chest pain. I knew it was because of my dental visit and crushed the thought of cancelling it. It is funny how your mind tries to create physical symptoms so you can avoid your biggest fears and anxieties. I have good reason to be afraid of anyone who works on my mouth. I will not feel guilty about this as I have been treated by a sadist in the past. But I would not let that stop me today. No, not at all.
We all developed dental phobias because the three laws of treament were not adhered to . These are:
"Don't hurt me"
"Heal me"
"Be nice to me"
That's all we want. That is not too much to ask.



I think I feel better with a plan, even if my plans do not work out in the end. Gives me a sense of some control over the situation.