• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So it has been a while.

F

fierybear

Growing up, I only went to the dentist twice. It wasn't until a year ago that I began to take care of my mouth on any regular schedule (I'm 34). For me as an adult it was all about finances. I just didn't have the money and the two times I went as a kid scared the daylights out of me. The problem is I know I have a broken tooth that needs care along with a host of other problems. And that's what scares me. The condemnation I faced as a kid was bad. (A lecture during the cleaning and exam with my mouth being shown as what not to do to random people that came in). Now, I'm in a position that I could possibly set up a financing thing for the financial side of things. But the fear and shame in telling a dentist all of this (and seeing the resulting reaction) is close to crippling when it comes to setting something up. Any advice on how to approach this would be so very appreciated.

Hi!
Most dentists are very considerate these days and do not shame or judge people because of the state of their teeth (that would be bad for business as people would likely not return to them). They are in the business of restoring teeth so if they only want to see perfect teeth, they are probably in the wrong business. Many members have had success with sending an email or facebook message first to various offices explaining their situation and fears to see what kind of response they get back before even stepping foot into the office. Once they feel “safe” getting a supportive response back, it becomes much easier to go through with making an appointment.

I have found that making a phone call to the dental office, not even to make an appointment, just to talk to the receptionist about my fears without the pressure of making an appointment has helped, the people I've spoken to tend to be very supportive and have met a lot of people with the same phobia for the same reason, I'd say either give them a ring or shoot them an email first :)

I have tested clinics out on FB , email and phone first, though phone is a little more intimidating for me. But I found on fb messenging it was very non intimidating. And you can put your anxiety and shame right out there. I have had dentists themselves respond even get back evenings and weekends and invite me to meet them free of charge. I met w a few of them and they were lovely compassionate people. I ended up finding my dentist so went back to him. But I learned this process really worked for me. I wish you the best in finding a kind compassionate dentist!

Hi,

Hope this can help, my video about fear of feeling embarrassed during a dental appointment.

Back