• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So much pain from local anaesthetic??

sudzs

sudzs

Recently had a crown fitted on a lower premolar, replacing a badly fitting crown and on another occasion had a huge amalgam filling partly replaced on the adjacent molar.

When the old crown was being removed, or "cut-off" as the dentist put it rather alarmingly, this required a LA and I have never experienced such pain from an injection in my mouth - and by jingo, I've had an awful lot of them over the years. :rolleyes: And for days later the gum area below the crown was sort to the touch, felt like the area was bruised.

Then for the amalgam filling I was given another LA (block or something!!) and again such pain to cause my rigid legs to fly up in the air and the dentist had to prompt me to breathe as I had stopped! :o And I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. It was just awful. :cry:

I had been getting better with my phobia over the last 9 months as I have had over 25 visits to various dentists.... but this has really put me back and to even think of it brings tears to my eyes. It has traumatised me to say the least and unfortunately the filling has not worked out and don't know how I will face having it replaced if it turns out to be the only solution.

Why would a LA injection be so painful. I know it can be done and it just causes a little discomfort, but this was real agony. The dentist is recently qualified so I thought she would have had the very latest techniques.

I can't see myself going back to her as yet again the trust has been shattered as I have been given another poor quality crown and a filling which, I feel, was carelessly stuck in and left as rough as sandpaper. Then the next day it was polished but this left a sharp right angle which was adjusted yesterday. but this seemed to involve just filing it down lower and lower without actually rounding off the sharp edge. I'm still in discomfort and 500 pounds poorer for it!

Seeing a new dentist next week to try and fix my ongoing problems, and they use the "wand". And sedation, but I'd rather not go back to having that again. No probs with it, it is a dream, but I'd rather feel safe enough and trust the dentist to go without!

So can anyone explain why I had so much pain from 2 LAs???

Last edited:
I don't know why they would just hurt so much.
I had 4 injections for oral surgery over a month ago now and the injections were agony!! depends on the person that does it? or where in the mouth it is? i dont know..

Newly qualified can also equal cackhanded/inexperienced as well as up to date!

If you are going privately which I understand you are, then at least find someone with experience. You do seem to have had very bad luck recently. After bad LA experiences, the Wand is definitely the way to go....:grouphug:

Thanks Brit! Yes I seem to have been incredibly unlucky. And cackhanded says it all! I went back with the sharp edged filling and instead of rounding off the edge she filed or ground it down lower and lower withough getting rid of the sharp edge. :rolleyes:

But it was her boss who polished off the rough filling and left the sharp edge in the first place... he's qualified nearly 20 years! :confused:

Another new dentist tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Back