• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Some old crown pain - Got a fast appointment for late tomorrow.

M

mojopearl

Hi, I've had a old crown niggling me for quite some while but its been steadily getting worse. The last time I was at the dentist nearly six months ago I suggested that the dentist ripped it out. (When I said ripped it out I mean the whole tooth. She suggest I wait.

I've made an emergency appointment for tomorrow as it has niggled non stop since sunday and after having and a serve abscess last year i very reluctant to wait.
I haven't felt right all day, which is one of the reasons I decided to go ahead. :(
I am a very, very nervous patient which is one of the reasons I writing here. Getting it off my chest helps.
This crown has not felt right in years. It feels under pressure and the area around the crown has for a long time been enlarged. I do have gum disease in the area.
It's a late appointment tomorrow afternoon. i hate late apps as one ends up worrying even more, morning are better for getting it out of the way. She might no even pull it but send me away with antibiotics. o_O
I just want it out and over and done with.
Part of my fear is that I'll get an abscess like the last time which the dentist did not treat immediately and I ended up with a blown face for days. It felt inhuman and I think it was an inhuman way to treat a person.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about what you are going through and also about your experience with the abscess last time.. glad to hear that writing about it helps a bit. I will be thinking of you tomorrow afternoon.

It seems that you don't share the opinion of your dentist in few points. May I ask where does it come from?

I hope that all gets resolved this time and you get to feeling better! You should mention to your dentist that you were upset that there was a delay to treat your abscess last time and have a chat about which steps will be taken to prevent one this go around. Also mention that it will put your mind at ease to know should have a dental emergency again in the future you will be seen immediately. Dentists are not infallible and most importantly they work for us. When there is an error or we aren’t happy with their service we should always feel free to mention it. I know it’s not always easy to assert ourselves, but to be fair they can’t read our minds. Hopefully your dentist will meet you with understanding, a sincere apology, and their word that there won’t be any issues with being seen in an emergency going forward. Anything less is unprofessional. I look forward to your update, and wish you lots of luck!

Sorry to hear about what you are going through and also about your experience with the abscess last time.. glad to hear that writing about it helps a bit. I will be thinking of you tomorrow afternoon.

It seems that you don't share the opinion of your dentist in few points. May I ask where does it come from?

Enarete - it's really kind of you to respond.

In the past, I've had a few major issues with my current dental practice, including them twice leaving me in severe pain for days. (blown up face). They've even pulled of a perfectly good tooth by accident! Additionally, they did not respond to their weekend emergency service when I need them. (They gave me a bunch of flowers to say sorry!) I was at the time seeing a dentist who's now left and most of the errors were with her.

The last time i was there six months ago, i suggested pulling the tooth/crown, as the dentist was pulling a tooth right next to it. It seem like a good time, especially since the crown/tooth was already niggling then. The dentist even said that there was a lot of infection under this crown/tooth. ( I have gum disease in the area.) i sometimes gain the impression that the dentist is stringing things out at times, so as to get the maxim money! it's a private practice.
The dentist quoted for a flexible partial denture six months ago, even though I had a niggling crown/tooth in my mouth which she knew about. I decided not to have the denture done yet, as I knew that it would not be long the crown/tooth came out. I hope this all makes sense! The dentist would have been quite happy to go ahead, with the denture even though there was a problematic tooth which would have to come out sooner rather than later.

i'm sticking to this dentist for now but I'm looking to find a dental practice that's better. It's not too easy when you are in a rural location without a car and reliant upon transport. i can react a bit funny to injects so I'm not too keen on going to a dentist too far away.

As child I used to go with my Mum to the dentist. i watched her shake with terrible nerves and eventually it rubbed off on me.
I'm grateful to this site. thank you. :)

Last edited:
I hope that all gets resolved this time and you get to feeling better! You should mention to your dentist that you were upset that there was a delay to treat your abscess last time and have a chat about which steps will be taken to prevent one this go around. Also mention that it will put your mind at ease to know should have a dental emergency again in the future you will be seen immediately. Dentists are not infallible and most importantly they work for us. When there is an error or we aren’t happy with their service we should always feel free to mention it. I know it’s not always easy to assert ourselves, but to be fair they can’t read our minds. Hopefully your dentist will meet you with understanding, a sincere apology, and their word that there won’t be any issues with being seen in an emergency going forward. Anything less is unprofessional. I look forward to your update, and wish you lots of luck!

Thank you for replying Anxious76 :)

There certainly have been times when I could have communicated better my issues/upset to the dentist.
I'm often just relieved to leave the dentist chair once its over.

One good thing to come out of it all is I don't wait until I'm in agony any more to get treatment.

Last edited:
Wow.. This is quite heavy and I don't know what to say.. Your generous tolerance is very impressive, on the other hand they seem to have completely failed in.. taking any kind of care of you.. Pulling a perfectly good tooth by accident? This sounds like harm caused by medical negligence to me and would be, at least in my country, a good reason to take legal steps..

Not trusting a dentist, having to wait for emergency appointments despite having pain, feeling like he is pushing you into treatment to get more money out of it and suggesting treatment that you feel is not approptiate.. that's heavy enough but then being harmed by someone choosing the wrong tooth.. wow.. you used the word 'inhuman' in your first post and it sounds very accurate.

I am really glad to hear that you are looking for an another practice and I understand the difficulty of not having much choice, but please keep on searching. I would never ever get back to such a practice, they seem to harm you more than help. It is also very easy to understand that you are a very very nervous patient with all the things that have happened with this practice (and indeed with the dental experiences you have done with your mother). The basis for easing dental anxiety is to make sure that you gain positive experiences during your dental visits.

Back to your tooth.. the fact that you would prefer to have it pulled speaks volumes about how upset you feel about it.. but you also didn't seem to get taken care of properly till now so I am wondering, if a kind caring dentist that respects your wishes and works responsibly would find a way to take care of the tooth without having to pull it.

All the best for today and please let us know how you are doing.

Last edited:
Today went well. The dentist did take time to explain everything. She took x-rays and the infection around my crown/tooth has increased. She's given me some antibiotics to take if it get very sore over the weekend. If it does not hurt she said don't bother with the medication. I'm having the tooth extracted on Monday. An extraction seems to make sense, as I'm having some partial dentures soon and this crown is not likely to get better in the long run.

I haven't had much luck over-all with dentist overall. i won't got into it all, but even when I was seventeen a dentist was trying to suggest I had fillings in perfectly good teeth. He was later struck off.

Getting stuff of my chest helped me cope, so thank you to this site and to the posters who replied. :):)
I might be back again before Monday!

Happy to hear that you have made a good experience and good treated kindly. Good luck for Monday and keep us posted:)

Happy to hear that you have made a good experience and good treated kindly. Good luck for Monday and keep us posted:)
Thank you you support. The extraction is our of the way. I've been told not to blow my nose heavily for a while due to the possibility of rupturing a sinus. I've not idea how long it is before it is safe to blow ones nose? A week perhaps?

Hey, well done! Hm.. no idea about how long, had a look into the FAQ here on the forum but haven't find a reply there either. One week sounds sufficient to me, but just guessing.. what about to give your practice a brief call to ask them?

An update. I appear to be slowly developing two small abscesses on the gum where the root canelled tooth was pulled. I'm about 90% certain as it is getting slightly larger by the day. I'm rincing my mouth out with hot salted water.
I can't decided what to do. I costs £90.00 to go back to see the dentist to check things out. I have got antibiotics in the house which I could use or I could just wait to see if my body deals with it.

The two small abscesses are about 3 mm each in size and don't hurt at present.
Has anyone got any advice?

Back