• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Someone please help me, i get severe panick attacks

V

Vinnie

Hello my name is Vinnie, i get massive panick attacks and now i have to go to the dentist cause my right bottom moloer is starting to bother me. The problem is i cant have any nitros oxide or 1v sedation, that whould only make matters worse. Its just that when i was 12 i had gas to operate on my ears, they were putting tubes in my ears, so i let the dr put me to sleep, BUT i woke up in this weird dream, i felt like i was on the moon, and everthing lookes black and white, which terrified me, a few months later, i started to feel like, i want there, and thats what started me getting panick attacks and a fear of open spaces. im taking klonopins for my anxiety, and paxil for depression, and i told my dr that i was going to the dentist, and he gave me Atavan, does anybody know if thats gonna work, im so afraid of the needle and getting numb, ,,,,,,,,Vinnie

Hi! It's pretty normal to be afraid of the dentist, and a lot of people around here have bad panic attacks too, including me. If this is your first time going in a while I don't think they'll do any procedures, just evaluate you and see what's needing done. Maybe an x-ray, which can be uncomfortable but certainly not painful, and doesn't involve needles.

Just be upfront with your dentist about your fears and your anxiety. Dentists are accustomed to having patients that are anxious or upset, they won't think anything of it. They should try their best to go at a pace you can handle and talk you through your options. I researched Atavan, and it appears to be commonly used before dental procedures, so it should work!

Hi! It's pretty normal to be afraid of the dentist, and a lot of people around here have bad panic attacks too, including me. If this is your first time going in a while I don't think they'll do any procedures, just evaluate you and see what's needing done. Maybe an x-ray, which can be uncomfortable but certainly not painful, and doesn't involve needles.

Just be upfront with your dentist about your fears and your anxiety. Dentists are accustomed to having patients that are anxious or upset, they won't think anything of it. They should try their best to go at a pace you can handle and talk you through your options. I researched Atavan, and it appears to be commonly used before dental procedures, so it should work!
ok thanks, ill try..

You are in very good company. All of us here, have a fear of the dentist. :) But... the fear is worse than the actual visit, :) If you are going to the dentist just to have it checked out, the previous member was right in stating they will just do xrays and check things out. That would be the best time to discuss your fears. Try your best to read up on threads of positive experiences, honestly, the dreaded needle is the worse part to most, but they numb your gum first with a gel, and you actually don't feel it in most cases. Other cases, its a small pinch and before you can say *ut oh*, its over. Ativan (lorazepam) is very affective to treat anxiety, and will certainly take the edge off. Before you know it, you will be on your way home! Try not to worry, you will be so glad once the tooth is taken care of. Best of luck!

WEll i tried maiing it to the d entist today, and no luck, i went to a place in fall river, and i was also monotored with the blood pressure thing, so to make a long story short, i did take klonopins 3 of them i did feel tired, and i was allset to get it takn out, but when the dr numbed me for starters i just went bananas, the pressure went high so i couldnt go threw with it, im so sad, i made a great effort into going, but i know the bad panick attacks was comming on , that damn needle,

Back