• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Soon to have first appointment in 9 years

L

LS89

I have not been to the dentist in around 9 years.
I have no real excuse, and I have known for a long time I am making a huge mistake.
I never changed dentists when I moved home and then after a couple of years I started developing anxiety about going back.
I have quite crowded teeth and I remember always feeling awful about them whenever I used to go.
I finally registered with a dentist and have an appointment in just under two weeks. I am very anxious and I keep crying whenever I think about it.
I am too embarrassed and ashamed to talk to friends or family about how long I have gone without seeing a dentist, and I live alone.
I have never had a filling before so I don't know what to expect even from that and I am worried I will have to wait weeks more of constant worry after my initial appointment.
The idea of needing something more than filling is really scaring me.
I just don't know how to get through the next two weeks- not that I am in any pain but I can't stand the constant worry.
Thanks to everyone on here who is posting their own stories. It is the only place I have found that has made me feel slightly reassured.

Hello LS89

:welcome: to DFC. We are glad you are here on DFC and glad to know our stories and community has helped you feel reassured and you are not alone in your struggle with dental anxieties. We are glad you shared. Avoidance is something so many of us do and it goes along with anxiety.

Is there something about the dentist you will be going to that drew you to them? good reviews from anxious patients? a good gut feeling? anything special.

I know alot of people who haven't been in a while fear the worst and end up with alot better news than expected and often meet some very kind and helpful dentists to do their dental journey with.

Take one step at a time.. and if you don't feel comfortable the first place you can try another until you do and they listen and treat you with kindness and patience in your care. It makes all the difference in the world!!

:grouphug:In the mean time you can always vent on here to us who understand and want to listen and support you..

I have not been to the dentist in around 9 years.
I have no real excuse, and I have known for a long time I am making a huge mistake.
I never changed dentists when I moved home and then after a couple of years I started developing anxiety about going back.
I have quite crowded teeth and I remember always feeling awful about them whenever I used to go.
I finally registered with a dentist and have an appointment in just under two weeks. I am very anxious and I keep crying whenever I think about it.
I am too embarrassed and ashamed to talk to friends or family about how long I have gone without seeing a dentist, and I live alone.
I have never had a filling before so I don't know what to expect even from that and I am worried I will have to wait weeks more of constant worry after my initial appointment.
The idea of needing something more than filling is really scaring me.
I just don't know how to get through the next two weeks- not that I am in any pain but I can't stand the constant worry.
Thanks to everyone on here who is posting their own stories. It is the only place I have found that has made me feel slightly reassured.

Hello and welcome, LS89! You’ll find many of us here in the same boat... Embarrassed to talk to family and friends about their phobia and not wanting to have this constant worry about going. You’ll be happy to know for most, the constant worry goes away after the first appointment. You’ll still be worried but it’s a more manageable and not constant worry. I went back after 17 years... I know, crazy! But I’m here to tell the tale. I knew I wouldn’t be able to wait for an initial appointment, so I scheduled one to just look at a cracked tooth from an old filling. I got in within 2 days (so it was a constant worry for the full 42 hours or so), but the worry was really the worst part. I got the tooth re-filled, had a cleaning, finished a treatment plan, and now will be starting orthodontic treatment (on my own accord... was not pressured at all... it was just something I’ve always wanted). You got this. It’s hard and scary and the worry sucks, but you’ll get through it, I promise! Let us know how it goes and write as often as you need.