• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Steroids & Wizzie Extractions

M

minlou01

Does anyone know if it is common practice for Oral Surgeons (in the States) to give steroids when extracting wizzies to prevent/lessen swelling?

TIA :rolleyes:

Hi minlou01,

I'm in the states and while I didn't have any extractions I was given steriods when I had a bone graft to help alleviate possible swelling.  The day before my appt. I had to take antibiotics and 6 steriods.  Each day I took one less until the whole pack was gone.  I still had some swelling but they told me it could have been much worse!  :o  I had no problems with them, other than remembering to take them after the specified meals!  ;D

Hi & :welcome: I, too am in the states and don't think prescribing steroids would be uncommon, if the oral surgeon/dentist thinks a procedure will cause undue swelling. It really will depend on the extractions however. You could ask the dentists on the board about this, while they are not in the states, the do have alot of knowledge regarding these procedures.

Personally, I have been prescribed steroids many times for jaw surgery and inflammation due to dental work, and as Pam has said they caused no problems, but make sure you take them with food or milk to prevent any stomach discomfort.

I'm in Canada, and just had four wisdom teeth pulled on Monday. They've got me on steroids til tomorrow.

Back