• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still panicking over this wisdom tooth - Need help in deciding

  • Thread starter Thread starter AnxiousAlice
  • Start date Start date
A

AnxiousAlice

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2012
Messages
58
Location
Florida USA
Hello,

These questions are driected to dentists here.

My biggest fears (besoides getting parasthesia that I poasted concerns about earlier), is:

1. The oral sedation. I know I do need sedation at this level of my anxiety, but I have concerns about drugs and over dosing etc: I already take Ambien for sleep disorder. The precrribed dose is 10 mg but I usually only take half the dose and it works fine except in extreme anxiety. I have told my dentist this and he said that I should take my regular Ambien at night and then to take a .25 halcion in the morning and then have another .25 halcion when I get to the office. This seems like way to much for me. When I was in College I was prescrived .25 Halcion for sleep before exams and I aony took half a dose and it helped me sleep. So my question is: if they call it oral conscious sedation" wouldn't this excessive sleep medicaiton make me sleep. I think I do need something to calm me down but don't want to be knocked out or not in control when I leave the office. My husband would drive me but he is not one to understand or hold me up or keep me from falling, or know what to do if I get home and fall asleep and not be able to wake up.

2. The next huge fear is the possibility of dry socket from the wisdom tooth extraction. My dentist and I talked about doing a bone graft and putting a membrane over it and stitching it up and this could prevent dry socket. Since I will not be replacing the tooth with an implant, this procedure would be more of a preventative measure against dry socket. Although this is a costly procedure which is more than the extraction itself by more than double, I would pay it if it avoided complications. BUT can someone please tell me what happens exactly in a bone graft procedure. To they drill into your jawbone and/or put screws or bolts into the jaw or do they simply place material into the socket? If this is true then can this additionally invasive procedure lead to even more complications, infection etc:

3. I know that no one has a crystal ball but for my age with no major health problems other than chronic sinus troubles and panic disorder, I do not smoke, do not drink, the only perscription drug I take is Ambien as stated above, and I try to do a lot of holistic things, no red meat, many vitamin and herbal supplements and lotds of whole organic foods. I am wondering what is typical in healing and recovery time as I cannot take much time out of my business or I could lose my livelihood. Also because my work involves a lot of public speaking and "image appearances" what is the worst case scenario on carrying on my daily activities.

Right now I need the tooth removed and want a short a time, minimally invasive, pain free and anxiety lowered with the least likelihood of side effects, complications or pain.

I think if I can get the courage to make the right decision and gain confidence as I have other work that needs to be done after this extraction.

I am 64, the wisdom tooth is errupted fully leaning slightly forward, the root on an xray appears cone shaped and does not seem to have roots going in different directions. The tooth has been filled in the past as since I have no molers in front of it has been functioning as a molor and the tooth developed cavities. Although the filling on top the tooth is in tact, there is a large cavity at the gumline so saving the tooth seems not to be an option and I am having intermittant mild to moderate tooth pain.

Anyway, I sure could some 2nd and 3rd opinions so I can make decisions that are the best for me and not make them in a panic state. I feel like my days are consumed with thinking about teeth. :-[

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer.

Alice
 
1) I know nothing about Halcyon, it's not available here and I've never used it. So I need to pass on this one, sorry.
2) Bone graft material comes in a sterile pack, it's placed into the socket and then the gum is stitched closed over it. It's very inert and won't cause any particular problems afterwards.
3) It's a fully erupted tooth, or nearly so, I'd expect you back at work and functioning perfectly normally the next day.
 
Thank you Gordon, Regarding the bone graft. I know I should not be googling utube on the internet, but in a bone graft do they sinply add the grafting material in the socket and then add a membrane layer followed by stitches. I can see how this would help prevent dry socket since the grafting is in the socket.

My concern was it appeared that they were drilling into the bone and making holes in the already tender bone in order to then add what looked like some kind of pin and then stitched it). WOudl I have to get the bone drilled into for the grafting material to go in. The video seemed to imply the drilling was needed so the grafting would grow into the bone???? More holes and drilling has me rattled.

Do you think this grafting diminishes the possibility of dry socket considerably making it worth the added time and expense.

Thanks again for your reply.

Alice
 
Honestly? The chance of dry socket is already so low that I would personally baulk at the extra time and expense. I assume that you're a non-smoker and have never had a dry socket before?
 
Thank you Gordon,

That is correct, I am a non smoker and have never had dry socket, although I have not had any extractions since I was a teenager and I am now 64, (they say it is harder with age).

I know most of my fears are unwarranted (the logical side of me talking), but my anxiety is escalating and I am holding back at filling the prescriptions and making an appointment and getting it done.

If this goes well, I will need to face further work and that likely will include another extraction or two and restoration. But I need to get through this wisdom tooth since it is bothering me, not to mention occupying all of my mental and emotional energy.

Alice
 
Back
Top