• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

still struggling

shamrockerin

shamrockerin

I'm still struggling with this broken tooth. It's not painful at all (was RCT'd years ago) but I just can't bring myself to schedule an appointment w/ the oral surgeon my dentist referred me to.

The tooth is so decayed and ugly that the thought of having someone whom I've never met before look at it makes me burn with shame and disgust.

The tooth is broken below the gum line on one side, and I can see the bright pink gutta percha inside. It's so far gone that I have no idea how the dentist is going to remove the roots since they don't really seem attached to anything anymore, and I'm worried he'll have to cut into my gums to get them out.

Just thinking about going and facing a new dentist (who would not be aware of my phobia, and everything I've done in the past couple years to try and get over it), is bad enough but when I think about all the other stuff like needles and bloody tooth bits I get sick to my stomach.:(

The tooth is broken below the gum line on one side, and I can see the bright pink gutta percha inside. It's so far gone that I have no idea how the dentist is going to remove the roots since they don't really seem attached to anything anymore, and I'm worried he'll have to cut into my gums to get them out.

If they do have to open your gums - which I know is probably the LAST thing you ever want to go through right now - it's not too bad. I had gum flap surgery with just numbing - I think I should have gotten the happy gas, but survived the procedure with just feeling no pain. After a month and a half my mouth is SOOOOOO much better for having the procedure done. Flossing on that side is AWESOME compared to what I was going through.

My Mom went through having a tooth being extracted that had a botched RCT and had broken - doc had to do more intensive work to get it taken care of and she was totally fine with being numbed up and having the laughing gas.

I hope you can get this tooth treated soon. I feel a lot better when I smile since having the gum flap surgery :grin: I use to have a tooth that had a red ring (of gums) around a crown and it bothered me so much.

Just remember that dentists have seen it all and most likely much worse than the tooth that you need to have extracted. Think about how much better your mouth will feel and look once it is out. (If I remember correctly it is toward the back of your mouth?). Thinking of you.

I'm still struggling with this broken tooth. It's not painful at all (was RCT'd years ago) but I just can't bring myself to schedule an appointment w/ the oral surgeon my dentist referred me to.

The tooth is so decayed and ugly that the thought of having someone whom I've never met before look at it makes me burn with shame and disgust.

Just thinking about going and facing a new dentist (who would not be aware of my phobia, and everything I've done in the past couple years to try and get over it), is bad enough but when I think about all the other stuff like needles and bloody tooth bits I get sick to my stomach.:(

I'm sorry you are going through this but I can tell you from my own experience having a surgical extraction was the fastest easiest appointment I have ever had, even though I was so terrified that my blood pressure was through the roof and I gripped the arms of the chair so tightly I'm surprised I didn't break them off. I squeezed my eyes shut tight the entire time because I was afraid to see any of the tools. When I squinted one eye open a tiny bit I did see thread being pulled out of my mouth and knew that I was getting stiches and it was over. They cut my gums on each side and I got 2 stiches each side. the entire thing took literally less than 2 minutes and I felt nothing at all. Oral surgeons are so much more skilled at extractions than general dentists are because they have so much more experience doing them every single day. you will be ok even though it doesn't feel like it now. Honestly I was so relieved to be rid of my tooth and I wish I had never tried to replace it after because I was so much better off. cuts and stitches in your mouth heal so much faster than wounds on your skin. if they do have to cut your gums you will be amazed at how fast it heals

Thanks, everyone.

If it was JUST an extraction, then I could probably just force myself to go and get it over with. But knowing that this is just the first step in a series of appointments (b/c my dentist recommends an implant afterwards) is really discouraging.

I'm having alot of trouble trying to convince myself that it's in my best interest because honestly, I don't know anyone who would willingly subject himself to needles/drills/stitches/etc in order to correct a problem that isn't painful or readily noticeable.

Many dental phobes eventually end up getting treatment in order to alleviate pain or embarrassment, but I don't have either motivation.

Thanks, everyone.

If it was JUST an extraction, then I could probably just force myself to go and get it over with. But knowing that this is just the first step in a series of appointments (b/c my dentist recommends an implant afterwards) is really discouraging.

I'm having alot of trouble trying to convince myself that it's in my best interest because honestly, I don't know anyone who would willingly subject himself to needles/drills/stitches/etc in order to correct a problem that isn't painful or readily noticeable.

Many dental phobes eventually end up getting treatment in order to alleviate pain or embarrassment, but I don't have either motivation.

Take it one appointment at a time and don't even think about that yet. of course they recommend implants, don't they all? lol implants are all the rage now. But just because they recommend one does not mean you have to get one if you don't want it. If your tooth is badly decayed I think you would feel better getting rid of it because then you know it can never cause you an infection and you will never have to worry about it again . But of you are not ready then you are not ready and no matter what they tell you to do it is up to you. I totally understand not being able to find the motivation. You can only go when you are good and ready. Honestly I wish I had not done anything more after my extraction because I had no pain back then either. But no I had to let them "fix" the gap. and now I regret it every second of every day.

Honestly I wish I had not done anything more after my extraction because I had no pain back then either. But no I had to let them "fix" the gap. and now I regret it every second of every day.

why do you regret it? did you get an implant?

I am unable to eat properly from a poorly made badly fitting bridge. it is so badly fitting that I think it should have been sent back to the lab and not cemented in my mouth. I was terrified of getting impressions and felt like I was going to choke to death but I suffered through it because I was told my bridge would be a perfect fit. I posted in the loins and tigers thread :(

I am unable to eat properly from a poorly made badly fitting bridge. it is so badly fitting that I think it should have been sent back to the lab and not cemented in my mouth. I was terrified of getting impressions and felt like I was going to choke to death but I suffered through it because I was told my bridge would be a perfect fit. I posted in the loins and tigers thread :(

Oh, I am so sorry. I know what it's like to not be able to eat properly. Many years ago, before this nightmare tooth was RCT'd, it was just a regular old filling. It was very sensitive to cold, so I couldn't eat ice cream for about a year. I remember telling my dentist about it at a check-up and he just responded "Well it was a deep cavity so it'll take some time to settle." I just figured abstinence from ice cream was going to be my lifetime punishment for getting a cavity.

And now all these years later, the tooth is gone and everytime I eat, food gets stuck in the hole. It's annoying, but at least it's not painful.

Oh, I am so sorry. I know what it's like to not be able to eat properly. Many years ago, before this nightmare tooth was RCT'd, it was just a regular old filling. It was very sensitive to cold, so I couldn't eat ice cream for about a year. I remember telling my dentist about it at a check-up and he just responded "Well it was a deep cavity so it'll take some time to settle." I just figured abstinence from ice cream was going to be my lifetime punishment for getting a cavity.

And now all these years later, the tooth is gone and everytime I eat, food gets stuck in the hole. It's annoying, but at least it's not painful.

My nightmare also started with a filling. well a dentist who thought they had to "fix" an old filling I already had. and without my knowledge or consent sunk a pin in my tooth to hold the new filling. The pin caused a vertical root fracture but I didn't know it. I just knew I was in constant agony from before the Novocain even wore off. multiple visits later due to the pain it was not diagnosed. instead it was crowned and when it hurt worse and infection set in and my face swelled up it was root canaled and when it continued to hurt it was at last extracted and the oral surgeon told me it was fractured all the way from the pin through the root. I should have quit while I was ahead and not tried to replace it. but I worried because it was a molar and I have no wisdom teeth so basically lost the ability to chew on that side. I was afraid that if anything ever happens to the other side I would be unable to chew at all. So I went for the bridge because it was supposed to be a perfect fit and only take 2 appointments over a period of 3 weeks and then be done with, as opposed to all the appointments needed for an implant including a surgery and basically being without a tooth for a year. plus the cost, my insurance will not cover a cent towards an implant.

today will be my 8th of those so called 2 appointments, which began 2 months ago so was not done in 3 weeks. I do miss ice cream but I would give it up for the ability to chew anything. It is not just icy cold that I am sensitive to. Room temperature water or mouth wash is excruciating and must be warmed up to body temperature first. I can not chew on the side with the bridge at all. Even soft foods cause minor pain and worse when I release my bite I feel a painful suction like my tooth is being pulled out. When I had the gap I could not chew on that side but not because of pain, just basically because chewing there did not accomplish anything. but there was no pain and I could at least do soft foods. I really do not understand why the dentist cemented this in my mouth with permanent cement seeing and knowing it didn't fit. I don't understand why he doesn't want to make the lab redo it. my temporary crown made of plastic fit better than this permanent ugly bridge that was supposed to be "perfect"
it looks nothing like my teeth did. It doesn't even look like teeth at all.

Back