• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Stitch broke

M

MountainMama

I had my lower first molar extracted and bone grafting done Thursday. The bleeding stopped by Friday morning. Today, I tasted blood and looked at it in the mirror. One of the interior stitches appears to have broken, and there is blood oozing. Not a lot of bleeding but I have a bad taste like blood mixed with that burned taste you get when the grind a tooth. That faded but the blood is still oozing. I am afraid to apply pressure with a tea bag or gauze due to the graft. Will it be okay if I just let it ooze or should I try to stop the bleeding?
I am on a soft food diet and no hot drinks. I feel like my tongue pushes against the stitches and extraction site when I swallow.

It should stop oozing no matter what you do, so just leave it for a bit.

It should stop oozing no matter what you do, so just leave it for a bit.
Thank you. It did stop last night and then picked up again today but less. There are only a few bone grafting particles coming out that I can tell, which I am told is normal. I will feel one occasionally on my tongue. I can see that it is oozing at the edge of the glue, where it is starting to peel back a little. That is where the broken stitch is. I am just wanting to get a few more days before that starts coming off so I know the graft is secure!

Back