• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Stitch Coming Out

E

ESchmidt86

I was told I had dissolvable stitches. For a couple of days it looked like a grain of rice was stuck in one of my incision sites (I had a molar and wisdom tooth pulled). This afternoon I took a look and it seems that my stitch is coming loose and is now coming out of the hole where my wisdom tooth was removed (not stitched closed). It is extremely uncomfortable. It makes it hard to eat. I have to have a post-op appointment, but I might have to wait until Tuesday. Any advice/experience would be appreciated!

How long ago did you have the extraction? I had my wisdom teeth out ages ago and can't remember the stitches, but I have had several molars extracted, and the oral surgeon said the stitches may start coming out in 3 days, or take up to two weeks. I had some loosen and come out at 2 days, but they said as long as there wasn't bleeding, not to worry.

The stitches usually start to fall out within a week but sometimes they hang around a little longer. If they are being annoying, ask the dentist to remove them during your follow up appointment. It should be quick/painless.

Eschmidt86,

How are you doing today with things? Is your office open you might give a call?

Back