• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swollen face, redness, whitening gums and pain after tooth removal. Please help

R

Rafael

Swollen face, redness, whitening gums and pain after tooth removal. Please help

Hello

At first i would like to greet all of you on this forum.

As to my problem, on friday 21st of February i started to experiencing very strong pain in my top left 6 which has already filling in it. I decided to wait through the weekend and go to my dentist. On Sunday 23rd pain was so strong i could not cope and no painkillers or anything else would help. I got emergency appointment and gone to the dentist. During the visit dentist did an xray and told me that there is an infection under the 6 top left tooth with the filling. He prescribed me Metronidazole 200mg to be taken 3 times a day and some painkillers he also said that i must go to my dentist to get this sorted asap. It worked and the pain started to go away but i have noticed something strange. After about two days on Metronidazole i started noticing that my face is getting swollen on the left side just under the jaw line it was painful to open my mouth, swallow or eat anything hard, i already made an appointment with my own dentist which was few days away. On Wednesday 26th i went to my own dentist and he did another xray, there was no sign of infection under top left 6 any more but he was concerned that top left 7 which was just next to it is in bad condition and could be causing all that problems so he removed it. I have told him about swelling under my jaw and the pain but he said it should pass within few days and prescribed me Amoxicillin 500mg for a week. It is Friday the 28th today and i am experiencing following symptoms: swelling on the left side just under the jaw line is larger and visible, inside my mouth under the tongue on the left side you can also see swollen area and some redness, my bottom left gum has became a bit whitish, It is painful to eat, open the mouth, stick the tongue out or swallow and i am also experiencing sporadic crumps in my bottom left gum which are very painful the swollen area under the jaw line is also painful when you touch it. I should also add that my bottom left 6 is not in great shape but has never caused any problems before. I am really worried couse i never experienced such symptoms before and i am taking Amoxicillin so there should be no infection or anything in there. Please help me with this problem as i do not know what is going on or what to do next.

thank you in advance

Re: Swollen face, redness, whitening gums and pain after tooth removal. Please help

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I think you need to contact the emergency dentist and get yourself seen again. I would contact your local A&E tonight though if you are still in the same state or worse.

If you don't get seen before the morning than ring your dentist and tell them you need to be seen straight away.

Let us know how you get on please, I hope you feel better soon and get this sorted out. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Re: Swollen face, redness, whitening gums and pain after tooth removal. Please help

Hello

Thank you for reply. I am feeling much better now, can eat and open my mouth wide, also i am not feeling pain on the bottom only occasionally in the left top 7 which was removed and is still healing. I still have a swelling on the left side of my face but it seem softer in touch and not as painful as it was. I think ill hold on through the weekend and see how it goes.

As long as things are improving that is a good sign, all the best to you :butterfly:

Back