• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swollen gland/lymph node

L

Lozboz

I had final part of root canal treatment on my upper premolar 5 weeks ago. I have an appointment in 2 weeks for my permanent filling. It has never really settled following the RCT, can’t bite on it, etc - but yesterday my gums are swollen/have tiny ulcers around that tooth and the surrounding teeth, and my lymph node/gland by my jaw/ear is swollen and painful. Is this ok to wait until tomorrow? I am not in much pain at all but something is clearly not right. I’m so worried about the swollen gland :(

The swollen gland is doing what it's supposed to do, trap any bacteria and kill them before they get further around your body.
It's perfectly OK to wait till tomorrow.

The swollen gland is doing what it's supposed to do, trap any bacteria and kill them before they get further around your body.
Thank you again for replying, Gordon. I’m such a worry wart with my teeth, also really hate being such a liability to the dentist.

Hi Gordon. Would you mind if I asked you another question? I got through to my dental surgery today, the receptionist said it can’t be related to my tooth as the RCT tooth is upper and the gland is below my ear/at the end of the jaw so would only swell with a lower tooth. Is that correct? It’s such a coincidence I have all this swelling and little ulcers around the tooth with RCT and the gland is swollen on the same day. Am now worried again :(

No, the receptionist isn't correct. The lymph glands act on a much wider area than being specific to upper or lower teeth.

No, the receptionist isn't correct. The lymph glands act on a much wider area than being specific to upper or lower teeth.
Thank you (again!). She spoke to a dentist, called me back and I am being checked this afternoon. The node has gone down today, but my gum area is soooo sore.

Back