• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Taking my first (terrifying) steps

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kat1025
  • Start date Start date
K

Kat1025

Junior member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
8
Location
Australia
Sorry for the long post!
I’m 24 and will soon have 7 teeth (plus possible wisdom teeth) removed. I have an extreme phobia of the dentist and severe general anxiety. As a result of poor mental health leading to just not taking care of myself, bad childhood experiences, and bad genetics my teeth are really bad. Last week I went to the dentist for the first time since I was 11 years old. I’ve already lost a lot of my teeth but they have all been at the back so nobody has ever noticed. My front teeth are a bit yellow but mostly ‘normal looking’. A couple of weeks ago I broke a tooth on the side that you can see when I smile. I think the only thing that scares me more than the dentist is someone finding out how bad my teeth are, so I decided to make an appointment. I went and the dentist was really nice, it was almost a relief. I have never told anyone in my life how bad my teeth are. I’m really scared about getting teeth extracted. I’m telling my family I’m just having my wisdom teeth out because I’m absolutely not ready to tell them. I’m also worried about money, I’m not going to be able to afford implants straight away and I’m nervous about dentures. I guess I just felt like I needed to share this, I so badly just want to never go back and keep pretending that everything’s ok. But I also know how much this has been holding me back. Thanks for reading my ramblings x
 
Sorry for the long post!
I’m 24 and will soon have 7 teeth (plus possible wisdom teeth) removed. I have an extreme phobia of the dentist and severe general anxiety. As a result of poor mental health leading to just not taking care of myself, bad childhood experiences, and bad genetics my teeth are really bad. Last week I went to the dentist for the first time since I was 11 years old. I’ve already lost a lot of my teeth but they have all been at the back so nobody has ever noticed. My front teeth are a bit yellow but mostly ‘normal looking’. A couple of weeks ago I broke a tooth on the side that you can see when I smile. I think the only thing that scares me more than the dentist is someone finding out how bad my teeth are, so I decided to make an appointment. I went and the dentist was really nice, it was almost a relief. I have never told anyone in my life how bad my teeth are. I’m really scared about getting teeth extracted. I’m telling my family I’m just having my wisdom teeth out because I’m absolutely not ready to tell them. I’m also worried about money, I’m not going to be able to afford implants straight away and I’m nervous about dentures. I guess I just felt like I needed to share this, I so badly just want to never go back and keep pretending that everything’s ok. But I also know how much this has been holding me back. Thanks for reading my ramblings x
Just like You Kat I am petrified of the dentist chair. I'll be praying for You. I am also taking My first steps at perfect smile.
 
Well you're in the right place! Many here have been in very similar situations and got through it, and finding the fear lessening each time they go. One of the biggest surprises for me was that so many other people felt the same as me and had stopped going to the dentist for years. It put my mind at ease a bit to not be alone.

I just had my first treatment yesterday and it is such a relief. I was pretending everything was ok for years. When friends new to the area asked for recommendations for dentists I'd just change the subject. It's so much easier to be able to say out loud that I'm going/have been to the dentist.

All the best with your extractions and financially, I don't have experience with that side of it but I know there are many here who do so hopefully you'll get more advice from them. If nothing else, there is plenty of support here anyway.:grouphug:
 
Well you're in the right place! Many here have been in very similar situations and got through it, and finding the fear lessening each time they go. One of the biggest surprises for me was that so many other people felt the same as me and had stopped going to the dentist for years. It put my mind at ease a bit to not be alone.

I just had my first treatment yesterday and it is such a relief. I was pretending everything was ok for years. When friends new to the area asked for recommendations for dentists I'd just change the subject. It's so much easier to be able to say out loud that I'm going/have been to the dentist.

All the best with your extractions and financially, I don't have experience with that side of it but I know there are many here who do so hopefully you'll get more advice from them. If nothing else, there is plenty of support here anyway.:grouphug:
I am gonna have to have 14+ teeth extracted. My elderly Dad is also having Total Knee Replacement Surgery this summer. The burden is so heavy.
 
Thank you! And congrats on starting your treatment, stories like yours give me so much encouragement. All the best with the rest of your journey ❤️
 
I am gonna have to have 14+ teeth extracted. My elderly Dad is also having Total Knee Replacement Surgery this summer. The burden is so heavy.
I’ll be keeping you and your dad in my thoughts. There is so much comfort knowing you’re not alone in this.
 
Thank you! And congrats on starting your treatment, stories like yours give me so much encouragement. All the best with the rest of your journey ❤️
Thank You so much Kat. We appreciate it. I will keep Y'all updated on My journey.
 
Dear Travie,

Could you please elaborate more about your difficulty with extractions?
I would not worry about the implants yet. First of all, maybe there won't be any needed, and even if indeed needed surely it can wait at least a few months. There is no rush towards that.
 
Dear Travie,

Could you please elaborate more about your difficulty with extractions?
I would not worry about the implants yet. First of all, maybe there won't be any needed, and even if indeed needed surely it can wait at least a few months. There is no rush towards that.
Hello Dr Daniel, My problems with extractions is fragments of teeth left in gum that will cause sore spots.
 
did you mean that part of the root might break and left behind?
 

I have seen many patients with broken left behind roots and in many cases it is not really a problem. If it is the broken root is a small piece (3mm or less) and not infected, the recommendation is to leave it there and not touch. If it becomes a source of chronic problem an oral surgeon should be able to treat it. In other words, it is reversible.
If you want to ensure not having this kind of complication you can get treated by an oral surgeon. If you want, you can post an X ray of the teeth so that the dentists evaluate whether it is probable.
 
Back
Top