• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Taking the plunge after 8 years...

  • Thread starter Thread starter zrr713
  • Start date Start date
Z

zrr713

Junior member
Joined
Feb 21, 2018
Messages
2
Location
Ohio
Hello everyone! I’ve been lurking around here for a while after having decided to embark on the not-so-fun adventure of getting my oral health back on track. Needless to say, there are a few reasons I’m -here- instead of anywhere else. My apologies in advance for the length of this one!

The last time I’ve really been to a dentist was 8 years ago or so when I thought a filling had fallen out. They cleaned me up and it turned out the tooth had actually decayed enough that part of it popped off, and I needed a root canal on the quick. That went well aside from the panic attack when they injected me six times... I even fell asleep (comfortably) during the procedure. Before that I hadn’t gone in nearly 5 years, at which time they told me I didn’t have any cavities (though some were starting to form), and since I was such a nervous wreck I’d probably need to be numbed for the next cleaning. Which obviously never happened!

Over those years, I wasn’t horrible to my teeth but I could have been better. During college and the first years of work, I didn’t have much in terms of savings or insurance, so dental work fell to the side. I brushed too rough for too many years with electric toothbrushes, so I tore my gums up and bled a lot. They were also inflamed pretty much all the time.

While my dentist is a pretty decent guy and does excellent work, I don’t really like some of his methods (he tends to not be very forthcoming and talks under his breath to his assistants a lot) and like his hygienists even less — they’re the whole reason I haven’t been in so long and where my fear comes from in the first place. First visit back, which I was very clear about being just a consultation exam and that I was very, very terrified to be there, he took a look around my mouth, probed a few places, and was reluctant even to take an x-ray until I insisted. There were definitely some areas of concern (some whopper cavities), but he didn’t feel that anything was emergent — just concerning. We’d discuss it when I came back for a cleaning, and could also discuss a long-term treatment plan then.

Fast-forward to the next day and that’s when things get weirder. I’m too much of a baby to make it through the cleaning with just topical gel, and the hygienist recommends that I go for the full-blown scaling and root planing... though at that point she hadn’t measured my pocket depths or recession at all. We try to get started with that (numbing me with more topical but no novacaine), and I don’t handle it any better. Too nervous, and they don’t do sedation, so I was referred to a periodontist that does. I got very bad vibes from the hygienist overall, though initially it seemed like she’d be able to handle my anxieties (she had no idea what to do). She scared me pretty good when talking about the potential pocket depths, saying she thought “yours are more like a 6 or worse, with significant bone loss.” On the way out, she kinda half-joked that after the scaling and root planing I’d come back in six weeks to talk about “how many teeth you get to keep.” Yikes! They also failed to send my x-rays and referral paperwork to the periodontist.

The visit to the periodontist was actually very pleasant beyond the expected levels of nervousness. She was concerned about the cavities (which I explained couldn’t be dealt with until after the cleanings), but was very kind and gentle overall. I had some 2s and 3s, a heap of 4s, and a couple 5s. She also didn’t express any concern about bone loss... yet. And so, the real fun is set to begin tomorrow afternoon, when I go in for the first half of my mouth (don’t need quadrants so I guess that’s a plus?). I can’t take oral sedatives but I’ll have gas, so that should be alright. I also can’t take oral painkillers, so the first couple days afterwards should be a real blast. I’ll have to follow up on this one tomorrow evening!

But back to the dentist himself. Between the initial visit and a couple weeks ago, I bit into a nice big almond and thought I may have chipped a tooth. I phoned the dentist, but the receptionist refused (!) to schedule anything, stating that it’s most likely sensitive due to my gum disease and adjusting to a Sonicare toothbrush. Fair, but she never actually talked to the dentist. It’s kinda off-and-on sensitive, and I mostly avoid it and have to chew a bit oddly (circumstances don’t make it easy to just chew on the other side), which has made my jaw and cheekbone area somewhat sore. There have also been a few instances where I randomly bleed for a couple spits for no apparent reason. Needless to say, given my history at that office triggering enough phobias to keep me away this long coupled with recent experiences, I won’t be going back. My mother still goes there, but she has similar thoughts about them... and that just makes my decision easier. I’ve set up an appointment at an office closer to home that does sedation, and I’ll doing all my follow-up work there.

Which brings me to tomorrow. And the aftermath. I feel like I’m less concerned about the overall scaling and root planing than the healing process. I have major dry mouth issues at night and can’t take Xylitol tablets, so I’m a little worried how that’s all going to go. Especially if I wake up full of blood for a few days... I know that’s going to drive my anxiety crazy. Not being able to take painkillers will not be fun (assuming I need them), but ice and Orajel should get the job done. The thing that has been driving me more batty than anything else is thinking... why didn’t the dentist talk to me? Did he plan to pull them all out after the cleaning? Am I looking at months and months of painful procedures (root canals, extractions, lots and lots of fillings)? I have a few teeth that are definitely pretty bad (abrasions that became larger holes, discoloration, etc). Financially I should be able to handle it all, barring full dentures or something. I’m just hoping it’s not as bad as my mind is making it out to be.

I know there are plenty of folks out there who have “been there” and made it through to the other side. It certainly helps airing this all right now... and any words of encouragement would be more appreciated than you can know!
 
You can definitely do this! The hardest step is that first appointment and you have made it past that and meeting with a periodontist. I wanted to chime in to ease your fears about the scaling and root planning. I have had it done twice now, just last week and also 10 years ago. It is not bad at all. The first time, I was afraid of the heeling and even scheduled to have a couple days off work. It was not necessary at all. If anything, I immediately felt better the day after my cleaning. The only soreness I felt was from the lidocaine injection site but it was very minor and I did not to take any pain relievers. I was able to eat, brush and floss normally that night.

I can definitely relate to your anxiety about your potential treatment after the deep cleaning. My dentist also did not go over my full treatment plan the first day I had the exam. I think he didn't want to overwhelm me but I started to think and think about all these possible scenarios. Thankfully when I returned he told me I only needed to replace my fillings following my deep cleaning. I was so convinced I would have months and months of work but in reality I just might be done in 2 more weeks!

Good luck with your treatment and I'd love to hear an update!
 
Hi zrr713 and welcome, I am glad that you decided posting after having been lurking around for a while:)

I was really relieved after reading the part of you not intending to go back to that place! Your dentist seems to be the type who just treats teeth and not you and you as a person seem not to play a part in this for him. Thats a no-no. Especially since you are a nervous patient. Having a kind dentist who explains you things and includes you into the treatment comes first. Sedation comes second since being human and empathic often solves a huge part of the dental fear. You seem not to have much problems with the treatment as such so a dentist who just treats you as a human and an equal might really help you with your fears.

The receptionist diagnosing you via telephone and refusing schedule an appointment.. that says a lot about the practice.

Please never settle for a dentist and practice that treats you like this. Such practices are one of the reasons why dental fear exists in the first place. It's very hard to keep coming for checkups regularly when they treat you in this way.

Also: the dentist cannot plan to pull all your teeth after a cleaning. The dentist doesn't plan anything, but informs you about the state of your teeth, gives you options, explains you the pros and cons and discusses WITH YOU what would be the best. After this YOU decide which way you would like to go.

I cannot tell you anything about recovery after the procedure tomorrow, MissJoy knows better and hopefully you get some further reassurance from people who have experience with this. I wish you all the best for tomorrow, keep us posted.
 
Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement -- it helps to back up my decision to change to a new dentist, and really helped me get through the deep cleaning yesterday.

I made it through in one piece, but I'm still pretty rattled. I was surprisingly totally fine both before and during the procedure, the injections being the only thing I felt (they had to hit me about six or seven times total for top and bottom). Afterwards I was extremely sore, particularly around the injection spots, but it faded through the evening. Stopped bleeding after just a couple hours, and I surprisingly didn't bleed at all when I brushed and flossed that side last night. They didn't tell me to do anything besides brush and floss twice a day and use Listerine, and only noted down a few cavities so far, so I'm guessing I'm not that bad.

Unfortunately, the anxieties about the procedure have been supplanted by some rather menacing terror about what may or may not be next. I'll probably not be in so great of shape for the next few weeks as things heal and I meet the new dental team. The thought of having a few teeth pulled is a fear I can't get through yet, and there are a few teeth I'm very concerned about. There are also two spots on the left side (getting cleaned next week) that bleed a LOT when I floss, though overall that side is in better shape than the right. The culmination of everything kept me up pretty much all night (that and not wanting to dry out my mouth), though I'm doing better this morning. Not so sore anymore, but much more sensitive. Biting down and chewing still feels pretty strange, but thankfully I prefer softer foods anyway!
 
Back
Top