• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

teeth are crumbling

  • Thread starter Thread starter crinkle
  • Start date Start date
C

crinkle

Junior member
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
1
i am terrified of the dentist it is truly the last thing i want to do, i have had bad experiences when i was a kid and i guess it just stuck. after having my kids i went to the dentist and they were not half as bad as they are now he just told me i should have taken better care of my teeth and truly acted like he was better than me and as if he didnt want to work on me. i was paying out of pocket to get treated like dirt when i really wanted his help. i do drink pop and did smoke but neither i thought would make it this hard on me and after being prego and sick all the time with the kids it took its toll i was asking about veniers and he said that is only for people who take care of their teeth. i already had sensitive teeth anyway and both of my parents have dentures i am just so scared to go in and get this done. Anyhow my question is how hard is it to get teeth out that have no tops all is under the gum line they have broken that bad i have only had one wisdom tooth pulled. i liked that dentist but he is too expensive for i still have to pay out of poket and maby how are the dental clnics for such a problem should i visit someone with more experience oh and wanting to know if dental schools should also be a option i know i will have to see a specialist to get the bad ones out but dont know if they offer that kind of help either. the last thing is i know i will start off with regular dentures but wanted to know about dental implants i truly want real looking teeth because i am not that old dont want to feel that way either. it has been a long hall but i always knew even from a young age i would need dentures just very self concious are the implants always so expensive and want to know how bad that hurts too or if it is even worth concidering. thanks for time to listen.
 
I had 2 out that were 'under the gum line' they were the easiest ones to come out funny enough - I assumed they would need surgery/stitches/cutting out/anything/everything - but no...just popped out - can't tell you what the dentist used, I didn't look, and I wasn't asking, but no pain then, no pain after and none since!
Took less than 10 seconds to come out - prob less, just didn't want to exaggerate.
Hope that helps a little.
 
I'm guessing that, from your reference to "pop" vs "soda" that you are somewhere in north-central USA...maybe Michigan?
I've had three below-the-gumline extractions that were probably the easiest procedures I've had, including recovery. But truely, your answers will best be answered by....a dentist (sorry to say that ugly word!). So many dentists offer "free consultations" and tons of info on their chairside manner on-line. I would suggest doing some research and perhaps contacting a few via email. You can keep it all very non-confrontational this way. And a consultation, while nerve-wracking to contemplate, really is your time to "be in control" and CHOOSE.
My daughter has has super good-luck with an Illinois dental college. Others on DFC in the midwest USA haven't. Give yourself some time to learn here and in your neighborhood. And keep your chin up...it CAN all be resolved!
 
My daughter has has super good-luck with an Illinois dental college. Others on DFC in the midwest USA haven't.

It depends on the time of year I think. The actual U of Iowa dental college is pretty good when you get down to it, it just takes time. (It was the hospital I had trouble with.)

As far as below the gum extractions, I had several while awake and several while knocked out like a light. They didn't feel any different than the others, they didn't take longer to heal (mine were stitched).

Believe me I know it's scary and my whole story started out with being treated so badly while being scared that I came close to quitting. I'm glad I didn't. I'm so close to being done. I know I'm young to have dentures, but implants are crazy expensive and I got lucky managing to find a way to get my extractions, much less buying the dentures. Very lucky.

If you get a lot of infections, pretty soon you won't have a choice. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but the sooner the better.

Trust me, believe me, I beg you...after the first time you get the nerve up to open your mouth for a dentist, it's all downhill after that. Seriously, that's the hardest part. And they won't make fun of you or lecture you. If they try, just get up and walk out. Also show them one of your fingers if possible. I saw several people initially with my crumbling crazy bad teeth and not one of them said a thing about it. They have seen worse. Even students.
 
Back
Top