• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth feel strange after flossing like there is something trapped between them.

H

hammyhamster

Hello

I have a major fear of dentists.

I recently flossed between one of my teeth and it is an area that I don't normally floss as my tooth is really close together but this time I did and it was a big mistake as now it feels like there is something stuck between them as there is a strange feeling that there is something pushing the two teeth apart and I don't know what is causing it. The tooth looks ok and the gum seems to be ok but there is a strange feeling as though is is either misaligned or there is something trapped between them and it is pushing them apart.

I suffer with anxiety and agoraphobia and this is not helping me much as I am finding this really stressful.

It has been like this now on and off for over 2 weeks.

Any advice on what could be causing this would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

you might have just caught a bit of floss between them. Have you flossed there since?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have flossed it a number of times since just in case there was something trapped between the tooth but nothing has been removed.

It feels real strange at the moment. It is a pressure feeling as though something is moving them apart.

It is my first two double teeth at the top on the left that are being affected and feeling strange.

I am not having any pain just this strange pressure feeling.

Has anyone shown you how to use floss properly? If not then you've probably nicked the gum a bit. It'll take a few days to heal up.

You can find more information on how to use floss here:

Thanks for the reply.

I think I have flossed wrong as like I said my two teeth in question are very close together at the top and what I did was to force the floss between them and instead of sliding the floss out I pulled the floss upwards and I am concerned that may have damaged my tooth as after I did that I started to get the pressure feeling.

I have found out the hard way that flossing can cause more problems than doing good if done incorrectly.
:redface:

Edit: Just to add that my two teeth in question now feel slightly loose and clicky since I forced the floss out downwards from in between my teeth and I am very worried that I have damaged them hence the strange pressure feeling. This has been ongoing on and off now for two weeks.

Last edited:
It's very unlikely that you've done any real damage, but you really need to get it looked at.

I would like to post a update!

I am feeling a lot better.

It took over 2 weeks to get back to normal. Mad!

I have been researching flossing!

The molars (which was the main area of problem) I slowly insert the 'tape' floss which is waxed and anti shred and slowly do up and down motions. Being as my teeth are so tight I slowly and gently slide the floss from between my teeth.

Is this an ok way of flossing?

Never draging floss down but that is me.

Thanks in advance :)

Also time heals :)

Hammy that is great that you are feeling better :)

The slightly thinner dental tape can be really good in tight spots as it glides smoothly even in between the most impenetrable areas. It's waxed, super thin and doesn't splinter off. The main thing I do is to be really gentle at the top near the gum, moving in a slow circular motion while pulling slightly through the gap. It must be working as I've been highly praised for my dental hygiene by my dentist & my gums are very healthy. Happy flossing! :clover:

Back