• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth sensitive after crown prep

  • Thread starter Thread starter kitty purry
  • Start date Start date
K

kitty purry

Junior member
Joined
Nov 21, 2013
Messages
19
Well, it took a while but I finally went to the dentist to have my old crowns replaced!! On Tuesday I had #30 and #31 prepped for the new crowns. The temp crowns were really wide and hurting my tongue. I went back on Thursday to have the temps reshaped. Since the reshaping, the teeth are very sensitive. I have extreme dental anxiety and now I'm worried that the dentist removed too much of the temp crowns and the nerve is exposed! Do you all think the sensitivity is normal and will calm down? I'm so worried. I was really proud of myself for facing my fear and now I regret it. :cry:
 
Hi the teeth can and often do feel sensitive after crown prep, different people take different amounts of time for things to settle down. Sometimes we get no little niggles after treatment it varies with each tooth. You could try taking pain meds that you may have at home, or see the chemist and see what they can recommend for you if you don't have any. As long as these help you are fine. I would think that you will be returning to your dentist quite soon to have the crowns put on.

In the meantime if you are worried then contact the dentist again and see what they say.


I think you should feel really proud of yourself for going and getting this done too. Give yourself a gold star and a pat on the back. Don't regret going, it will be sorted out it can just take a bit of time sometimes.
 
Carole,
Thank you for the reply. I'm going to take some Advil and rinse with warm,salty water. If there is no improvement by Monday I will call the dentist.
 
Teeth still sensitive!

Well, it took a while but I finally went to the dentist to have my old crowns replaced!! On Tuesday I had #30 and #31 prepped for the new crowns. The temp crowns were really wide and hurting my tongue. I went back on Thursday to have the temps reshaped. Since the reshaping, the teeth are very sensitive. I have extreme dental anxiety and now I'm worried that the dentist removed too much of the temp crowns and the nerve is exposed! Do you all think the sensitivity is normal and will calm down? I'm so worried. I was really proud of myself for facing my fear and now I regret it. :cry: :(

UPDATE:
The teeth with the temp crowns are still sensitive! If I eat anything sweet, it hurts! The pain lingers. Also my tongue hurts when the teeth hurt. It's so strange! It's almost like spasms on the side the dental work was done on. Should I get new temp crowns with desensitizing cement? I'm so scared that I have nerve damage or will need a root canal. What do you guys think?
 
Back
Top