• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary crown- pressure/pain when biting

O

Ottosmomma

I had a large filling that broke in a back molar (had some discomfort to chewing but not bad) and was repaired with a new filling and a temporary crown 8 days ago. After the treatment my gum was very sore from the crown prep (cord under the gun was not comfortable at all!). I of course haven’t been chewing on that tooth or using that side of my mouth much. It is definitely more sensitive to cold since the treatment which I know is typical of a large filling after treatment. My concern is that I cannot really chew anything with any texture on the tooth that was worked on, ie. Pizza crust or anything even slightly crunchy. So, would this seem to be a normal amount of discomfort on pressure/chewing with a temporary crown or does this indicate I need a root canal? I don’t want to get the permanent crown placed if it might need a root canal right away. How long would you give the tooth to settle? I do not think the bite is an issue as it feels fine.

When I had that issue, they had me wait 2 months. I went in for the permanent crown, and it hurt really bad when they tried to take the temp crown off. The dentist said to give it a few months and see if it settles. She said the crown prep can be hard on a tooth.
I wouldn’t panic, but I would call and mention it to your dentist to see what they recommend. I wouldn’t want a permanent crown put on either, if it was pressure sensitive.

When I had that issue, they had me wait 2 months. I went in for the permanent crown, and it hurt really bad when they tried to take the temp crown off. The dentist said to give it a few months and see if it settles. She said the crown prep can be hard on a tooth.
I wouldn’t panic, but I would call and mention it to your dentist to see what they recommend. I wouldn’t want a permanent crown put on either, if it was pressure sensitive.

Thank you for your reply! Was it a pressure/biting/chewing issue too?

Thank you for your reply! Was it a pressure/biting/chewing issue too?
Yes, it was painful to put pressure on. Mine wasn’t the greatest ending as I ended up needing a root canal, but my dentist said it was not at all unusual for a tooth to need time to settle after a trauma like a crown prep or a large filling. I had a deep filling done as well as the crown replaced. It was about two months after when mine started having occasional shooting pain, which is when it was decided I needed a root canal.

Back