• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified about retreatment tomorow!

  • Thread starter Thread starter dawn1981
  • Start date Start date
D

dawn1981

Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2013
Messages
51
Tomorow i having my root canal from years ago retreated and i am scared! I shouldn't be so scared because i just had a root canal on another tooth and truthfully it was easy and i had no pain really. But for some reason i am so worried that this retreat is gonna hurt so bad! Just want to get that out there. I will be back tomorow to update (if i feel up to it) Wish me luck please!
 
Good luck for your apppointment :clover::clover::clover:.

It's easier said than done, but do try not to worry. If anything, a re-treatment shouldn't really hurt at all because the all the nerve/pulp in your tooth should have been cleared out when you originally had the root canal treatment and if it didn't hurt back then, I would think that's a good sign. You should be given plenty of local anaesthetic anyway so you shouldn't feel anything, but if you do, just let your dentist know and they'll make sure it's properly numb for you.

Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:
 
I am having a re-treatment on a tooth that had infection under the tooth. My appointments have been longer than usual, I have had no pain of any kind. It takes longer because they have to get the old filling in the roots out and clean them out again.

You will be fine, you won't feel anything or if you do like vicki says let them know. They are very good and I have found they are really good at making me feel comfortable and I was told my comfort is the most important thing.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on.
 
Well i got back from the dentist hours ago but felt pretty yucky, still do. Carole they are having me come back again on the 23rd, gosh that seems so far away. I want to just get this all over with. He put some medication in there because he said he wants to just make sure its all taken care of. It did not hurt at all during but it hurts now! He told me i would be pretty sore so i expected this but i am just so done with this hurting. I wanna just scream and cry. Also i am having a real issue here and need help please. This tooth has a crown and the crown has been fine for ten years but no all of a sudden it feels high, when i sleep at night i clench my teeth sometimes and this hurts like heck when that tooth hits my top tooth, also when i eat i sometimes have it hit too and right now i am starving and just tried to eat and it did it again. Why is it high all of a sudden? From infection? What do i do!? I am going to starve if i cant eat and i am so tired and afraid to sleep because when i do, i wake up from this root canaled tooth hitting and it hurts. Do i ask the endodontist to file it down? It's an old crown? I wish he would have just taken the stupid crown off.
 
Hi I go back on the 23rd too for round 4 on my re treatment. I think if you tell them about the bite being too high they will be able to do something, could you contact them before you go back and get this sorted. My tooth doesn't have a crown on yet, it has never had one because it never really settled after the initial rct was done.

I had an appointment yesterday an I am at the point of the three canals are now cleaned out and I have a dressing in there with some temp filling in. It is slightly sore but I took some pain meds yesterday after the app, and when I got up this morning I took some as my gum was a bit sore. I thought I would get on top of it before it had chance to build up to something.

Teeth can be left feeling a bit sore after some procedures and this is one of them. Pain meds should be able to help you, but the bite problem is a different matter. You really need to contact the dentist and ask him to file it down for you. It is a simple thing to fix, so don't suffer.

Let us know how you get on. :)
 
Thanks Carole, and thank you for listening to me ramble on every single day lol. I just called the dentist and the reseptionist said he could file the crown down. OMG i am scared! The tooth is sore and i dont want him touching it to file it! Ouch! I hope he numbs me at least.
 
I think you will find once he files it down and your bite is corrected it will stop hurting. Don't worry about coming on and asking questions or rambling on as you put it. We all rant rave cry and have some right old strops sometimes so feel free.

Let us know how you get on. It won't be as bad as you think. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:
 
He filed it down for me and it took al off 2 minutes. I worried For NOTHING! Was easy peasy. It felt good yesterday but i have been taking ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. Last night around 6 it started hurting again around my gums mostly and weird twingy pains. I woke up last night and it was hurt more, of course that freaks me out. Should it be hurting? I understand it has only been 2days since the retreat but every time i feel pain i worry.
 
I think it is still soon after he disturbed your tooth. Mine felt a bit sore on and off for quite a bit longer after my last appointment. I think you need to give it a bit longer, there is no set time for things to settle, everyone is different.

It is horrible when things are prolonged like this, just know that as awful as it feels at the moment, this will get treated and you will be out of pain as soon as the dentist feels it is settled enough to treat.

I do feel for you but unfortunately things take their own time, and teeth seem to have a life all of their own. I think we have them just to send us insane at times.

I really hope you feel better soon, if at any time you find the pain really unbearable or are worried do contact your dentist and let them advise you further. I know it is hard but see if you can bare with it a bit longer and give the dressing time to work. Take the pain meds to help.

Carole :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug4::hug4::hug4::friends::butterfly:
 
Okay i am in alot of pain now! I have taken alot of ibuprofen today. I have moments when the pain subsides but not much. Right now i am feeling pretty bad. I am worried something is wrong. Could this pian just be from the infection? When will the antibiotic start working? I am really depressed right now and i feel like i just want to pull out my own tooth. :cry:
 
I just answered your other thread, but you do need to see a dentist as soon as possible to get yourself out of pain. Try cold against your cheek on the side it hurts, if that doesn't work try warm. I found when my infection had a flair up cold was wonderful. :hug:

I slept on a hot water bottle filled with cold water, I also rinsed my mouth with cold salt water.
 
So last night o took 3 advils and went to sleep. I did sleep through the night but as soon as i woke uo bam the pain is here. So is it a flare up ya think? I will call my endodontist tomorow morning. Oh and Carole so this happened to you too?
 
Yes it did but what happened to me was that after I had the rct the tooth flared up and my face was swollen, I went back to the dentist and they gave me antibiotics which did the trick for a short time then it flared up again. I tried warm salt water rinses and this just made it worse and made my mouth throb. I tried cold and made a cold pack with my hot water bottle filled with cold water. This was heaven and it worked, it didn't cure the infection but it took a lot of the pain away.
It was decided that the tooth had infection under it so that is why I am now having a re treatment, I have had 3 appointments so far and go for the 4th on the 23rd May, the same day as you. I have felt a bit sore after but it has been where the dam was on my gum more than anything. I took a couple of pain meds the same day and the morning after and I have been okay since.

Let us know how you get on when you go back to see your dentist tomorrow. :butterfly:
 
Hi Dawn,
Just wanted to chime in. I had a root canal last May, and (not to scare you), I've 5 extra dental appointments because of pain from that tooth. The last appointment in April it was determined I had an infection by the root tip and was given a course of antibiotics. That has seemed to work, but I STILL have some minor pain from it.
My dentist says I grind my teeth fairly hard at night and that has contributed to my slow recovery from my root canal that was done ALMOST a year ago.
I also have an appointment on May 23rd for a cleaning and to determine what to do about this tooth.
Wishing you much luck!!!!!
 
Ouch, you poor thing. I would die if i had pain that long. Today has been pretty bad. I had some moments of no pain at all but that was when i had 3 ibuprofen in me. I feel okay if take ibuprofen but as soon as i get too 3 hours after taking it i start to get a dull ache and then it just gets worse and worse. Its not as bad as a full blown toothache but it does hurt alot! I have cried one time today because it got pretty bad. My friend just had a crack in a root canaled tooth and she had some tylenol number 3, she brought them over for me but i am afraid to take them and i know they wont help my inflammation anyway.

All i know is if my endodontist says there is a problem and it cant be easily solved i am done. This tooth will be gone. I am not going to suffer anymore.
 
Ouch, you poor thing. I would die if i had pain that long. Today has been pretty bad. I had some moments of no pain at all but that was when i had 3 ibuprofen in me. I feel okay if take ibuprofen but as soon as i get too 3 hours after taking it i start to get a dull ache and then it just gets worse and worse. Its not as bad as a full blown toothache but it does hurt alot! I have cried one time today because it got pretty bad. My friend just had a crack in a root canaled tooth and she had some tylenol number 3, she brought them over for me but i am afraid to take them and i know they wont help my inflammation anyway.

All i know is if my endodontist says there is a problem and it cant be easily solved i am done. This tooth will be gone. I am not going to suffer anymore.
I agree, I would have told my dentist to extract it a LONG time ago, problem being it's the lower front center tooth...............kind of noticeable if I talk, so trying to withstand suffering as long as I can to save it!!!!
My dentist also recommended ibuprofen for my pain.............said the same thing about it helping with inflammation.
 
Hi all, i updated my post on the general dentistry questions section. I would type it up here but i am just exhausted.
 
Back
Top