• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

terrified , embarassed ,going to make an appointment today

Thank you Terrified woman and teacup . Iam in work now and going to spend the next few hours reading journals ! A little more resigned to the idea today ....discovered yesterday that i was supposed to make an appointment with the dentist for this week 'to talk ' , that didnt sink in in the sedated state i was in . Our area is fairly snowed in at the moment so thats not going to happen . Will wait till after Christmas :party:

Hi Pollywobble...
I just read your posts...I haven't been on a litle bit, wow, you have gone through so much! You should really be proud of yourself! The mood swings, perfectly normal!! I live alone (except for Beefyboy, my cat) and I cried alot, I too avoided the dentist except for when it was absolutely necessary (like when my face would swell twice the size from an abcess) but Sept 24 (don't think I'll ever forget the date) I had all teeth extracted (none could be saved but I think it is almost better to have none than to have a few) and immediate dentures put in. I was awake, only novacaine, and one valium. Was it pleasant? No, was I miserable? No...except for when I felt sorry for myself, which I think we deserve. I always covered my mouth and had learned how to talk, laugh, etc without showing my teeth. The one thing I always did do was notice everyones teeth and how envious I was. Now I have an awesome smile, I still am having small issues but it is so nice to not have any tooth pain and to be able to go everywhere and not have any self concious feelings.
You will do great! I daydreamed for weeks before my appt about how I would look, and now I still pull my compact out and look.
You have already come a long way! I dont' miss my old teeth ever!!
This place is great! I am still nervous when I go for my appt.'s but that will always be there.
Keep us posted! and best of luck to you!
xoxoxo
Tina:-*

Hi Pollywobble

I have been looking at this site for many months and found it really helped me during the past few months leading up to my treatment. I hadn't registered as just reading to post was enough for me, today however after reading your posts I felt compelled to register and contact you. I can identify with your story so much and want to offer my help if I can.

Without going into too much detail & risking boring you, I am a 49 yr old married woman who let her fear of the dentist prevent her from going to the dentist for over 30yrs, you can only begin to imgine the absolute mess my mouth was in and to this day I'm amazed I managed to get away with nobody noticing.

After years of stress, pain and fear I decided I couldn't carry on like this, my fear had long since been taken over by embarassment and shame. Although my hubby had been grest I decided to tell my closest friend and with her help managed to go and see a dentist at the beginning of August this year, she had to come into the room with me for the first two appointments.

Although I knew my top teeth would have to come out I hoped I could keep the bottoms, although they are pretty loose!! Sadly the news was not good and I was advised to have all my teeth removed as the gums and bone were strugglng to keep them in. I was absolutely shattered at first and, like you, terrified by the prospect of dentures.

Well last Thursday I had my top teeth out (bottoms to be done in a few months, I can't face full extraction in one go!!) and was fitted with an immediate denture. Today is day seven and although I know everyone is different I can promise you it really, really isn't that bad. I was dreading not being able to speak and having them fall out but you do seem to adjust really quickly and although I have had the odd weepy moment I know things are on the up and in a few months when I get the perms it will be plain sailing.

The best advice I can give you is something one of my friends said to me "Talk yourself into them don't talk yourself out of them", it worked for me. I don't really want to go on too much now but am more than happy to answer any questions you may have, no matter how silly they may seem so please do get in touch if you feel it will help.

Be brave, if I can then anyone can, sending you lots of love & support :)x

Back