• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified I'm going to lose all my teeth

  • Thread starter Thread starter seren
  • Start date Start date
S

seren

Junior member
Joined
Aug 25, 2006
Messages
3
I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I'm 25 and I've always been afraid of dentists, last time I went was when I was 18 because I was in so much pain I had to get a tooth pulled.

Things have gotten much worse since then, my back teeth are literally crumbling away and my front teeth are starting to be affected now aswell.

On top of the fear of the dentist I also have agoraphobia so there's no way I can face the trip to the dentist but I just don't know what to do any more.

I hope that someone here can help me because this is dominating my thoughts 24/7 right now and I keep having panic attacks.
 
I'm very phobic myself so I can't tell you any fantastic advice about what you should do without being a hypocrite. That said, I have an idea about what you could look in to...

Do you live in the US, UK or other? I have heard (in the uk anyway) of dentists that will come to the home of those who are physically or mentally unable to leave their homes. I wish I had a link or something, but this is just something I remember reading about once a while ago. I would try calling the national dental association, or the NHS if you are in UK. They may have some ideas. Are you seeing anyone for your agoraphobia? If so, maybe that person will go with you if you need to leave the house for your appointment? OR maybe you could be put out and go through the whole thing without knowing it?! That seems like a nice option unless control is the issue. I don't think I would like to be put out because I am a little afraid of losing control.

Good Luck!
 
See my other post regarding prevention of dental decay. It sounds like you need to look hard at your diet, first and foremost.

It is certainly possible in the UK at least for a dentist to come and see you at home, but be aware that treatment is very limited, basically just very simple fillings, extractions and dentures.
The Community Dental Service is the main provider of domicilliary care in the UK, your local Primary Care Trust will have a contact number for you. You'd need a referral from your GP or Health Visitor as well...
 
Seren,
I know exactly how you feel from personal experience. I am 27 and I have had frequent nights of terrible pain due to not seeing a dentist. All my back molars are completely chipped away to the gumline. I am basically on a liquid diet, but on a good day I can eat a burger if I am careful because I have a few issues with my front teeth as well now. I have had several nightmares about waking up an having no teeth!I couldn't tollerate it any more!

I waited for 7 years, to see a dentist, but I finally went last month. I just couldn't take it anymore. I went to a dentist someone had referred me to, someone with a similar problem. The office she referred me to was so great!! But they did inform me that I didn't have many options left and now it was starting to affect my overall health. I do need a full set of "replacements", that is a whole different thing to deal with. Don't be afraid of what they MAY say. The first appointment they are NOT going to force you to do anything you are not comfortable with. I had a few Xrays and then they looked at my teeth with only a mirror. When I called they wanted to do a cleaning, but I advised them I didn't want to go that fast and they understood. If you go to the right office they may even offer options to calm you like nitrious or a little pill.

I know that having to deal with this sort of issue in our 20's is hard, but I know that once you go a weight will be lifted off of you. Please learn from me...don't wait until you can't even bite into a hotdog. It is not worth it...

Now I have no idea what an agoraphobic is or how it would impact this fear but please know I have been EXACTLY where you are right now and I know it is not fun. All I can say is I wish I had made the first step years ago. I have had great support from my family an friends and just found this site... and I think it has also help me out incredibly. I hope this helped.
Nikki
 
Seren,

I really hope my earlier post did not discourage you. I really wanted you to know there are alot of us young people dealing with this...

Nikki
 
Thanks for all the replies. I am in the UK and I had no idea it was possible for a dentist to come to the house so that's definately a help to me if it's possible. I'm going to call my HV tomorrow and see if she can refer me. I'll still be extremely nervous about the treatment but being in my own home, at the very least for the first appointment, will definately help somewhat with the nerves.

I've never had a general anaesthetic before but I'm sure I'm going to need some major treatment so I think that will probably be my best option for the really difficult stuff. Of course, that would mean going to the hospital which is a major problem in itself but I guess I have time to think about that.

Gordon, I'm having trouble finding the post you mentioned, a link may be helpful. Sorry, I'm probably just looking in the wrong place. Not sure if it will help though, my problems stem from not looking after my teeth when I was younger, I'm much more careful now but I fear it's too late.

Nikki, I'm so sorry to hear you have to have full replacements at such a young age. That's my worst nightmare but something I guess I may have to face up to sometime soon. Being agoraphobic means that I have panic attacks when I leave the house. I'm virtually housebound now, although I can make it to the next block on a good day. Unfortunately there are no dentists within a block of my house so it's pretty much impossible for me to get to one at the moment so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that I can get someone out to me for now.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the help.

Mel
 
Let's Connect will find the relevant post within about 30secs... I can't remember what thread it came up in.
 
Haha, found it!!!!

Preventing further decay will mean some major changes to your eating and drinking habits.
Don't eat ANYTHING between meals. Don't sip on sodas or tea/coffee between meals. If you're thirsty drink water. I'm assuming you get 4 meals a day here...

Get some mouthwash with chlorhexidine in it and use it twice a day. The chlorhexidine will kill the plaque bacteria that help to make decay.

Next thing to do is when you've finished brushing your teeth, get a blob of paste on your finger (make sure you're using Fluoride paste!) and rub it into the cavity. Do not spit or rinse after brushing.
Make sure that nothing goes into your mouth last thing at night after your toothbrush, (no innuendo here "Let's" thank you!). During the night your saliva is switched off so stuff lying on your teeth festers all night long.
 
Seren,

I think I may be opposite of you. I sometimes really need to LEAVE my apartment or I will go stir crazy. In reguards to my teeth, I know this will be an end to the pain. I khow I will have new obstacles but I will also have a perfect painfree smile. Good luck in your journey!

Nikki
 
Thanks again everyone, you've been a real help.

I just got off the phone to the HV. She's going to see about getting a dentist to come to the house so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, if it's not possible for someone to come to the house, she thinks I may have to go to a hospital for treatment as there may not be any local dentists taking NHS patients and the hospital is over 10 miles away so that's going to be a really difficult trip for me if I have to go there. I haven't been more than two miles from home since December, scary thought.

Thanks again,
Mel
 
Well CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm sooo impressed that you picked up that phone and called to get the information. Huge step. Huge! As for the rest, just think about one small step at a time and don't look too far forward.
 
Back
Top