• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified like many others on here

S

steph2000

I haven't been to the dentist in years. I just noticed my one molar has a break in it. I also have impacted wisdom teeth that are partly in but still impacted in the back. The other day I was flossing, I guess a little too hard, in the back by my wisdom tooth and I'm in a lot of pain now. I made a dentist appointment for Friday. My teeth are bad but I am really hoping they are not too bad and I do not need to have any teeth extracted. I think this is my biggest fear. I had braces as a teenager and I have a small mouth and big teeth. I had 5 permanent teeth pulled at the time because I had no room for them. This is what started my awful anxiety about going to the dentist. I brush my teeth pretty hard and my gums do not usually bleed so I am hoping its not as bad as I think it is in my head. Apart from the broken molar and my impacted wisdom teeth, I do have visible cavities and tartar so I am just beyond nervous now. I need to go because I really am in pain but I already want to cancel.

I can sympathize. I have an appointment in a couple of hours after many years of not going to the dentist, due to previous bad experiences. I'm terrified too, but I've determined not to cancel it, even though I want to. Hang in there!

I can sympathize. I have an appointment in a couple of hours after many years of not going to the dentist, due to previous bad experiences. I'm terrified too, but I've determined not to cancel it, even though I want to. Hang in there!
Good luck! As much as I want to cancel, I also wish I could move my appointment up to just get the initial over with already.

Ok I’m sitting here and giving myself so much anxiety. The more I read the more people say they need dentures. How do you know if your teeth are that bad? I mean I definitely have cavities but how long until they can’t save any of your teeth?

Ok I’m sitting here and giving myself so much anxiety. The more I read the more people say they need dentures. How do you know if your teeth are that bad? I mean I definitely have cavities but how long until they can’t save any of your teeth?

Please don‘t worry about dentures. People who haven’t been to the dentist for a while usually expect the worst case scenario just to find out that they don’t need nearly as much treatment as they do. Dentists can save teeth and that’s what they put focus on in their profession.

I can attest to expecting the worst case scenario. My first visit in 20 years was yesterday, and I would have bet the house on needing dentures or significant gum surgery. It turns out all I need is a cleaning and a filling!

I went to the dentist for the first time in 30 years on December 9th ...and my teeth are really bad .... I thought I'd have to get them all out because of there condition..like yourself Iam so anxious about the dentist ..it turns out I need a few out , already had a wisdom tooth out ....and I need to have crowns and bridges , oh and a root canal ? ... I thought the worst but they are good at what they do..we always think the worst I do anyway , turned out my teeth are really clean hardly any plaque.stunned at that if you where to see them

So hang in there it's not as bad as you think , and we all over think & the anxiety gets ridiculous, well it does with me ?..you can do it

well 1st appointment down. got three fillings and a cleaning. I need to go back next week for three more fillings and the following week for 2 more. Nothing else needed. Phew!

That's terrific! Well done!

well 1st appointment down. got three fillings and a cleaning. I need to go back next week for three more fillings and the following week for 2 more. Nothing else needed. Phew!
Well done Steph , good to hear ???

Wish I only had lol ??...I need a few more out , a filling , and crowns and bridges ? oh and a root canal ?

Proud of you steph. I’m in the beginning stages of several fillings and jealous you are already 3 in. I hope I can get through my appts. I have 4 in total booked, with work required on 9 teeth. Does it ever get better

Does it ever get better

Well, it's always possible. It's better to have the necessary things done than to live in fear and nightmares. At least you can enjoy life even if something drastic has to be done.

I got two teeth extracted today, my problem is that I don't still know how many more I need to lose, the first dentist scared me by telling me I might need to lose all or almost all of them, and I have a 'hygienist' appointment next week, so maybe I'll know more then.

I think things do get better - I have decided that it's all about the attitude and mental state. If I decide I will enjoy life no matter what, then I can enjoy life even if all teeth are extracted and I get dentures and there's a big hassle with what to eat and so on. Some day, even with dentures, I will be able to enjoy life, walk in the nature and feel joy, and so on.

Just keep that kind of goal in mind, so you have something to shoot for, and it will get better, I am sure of it. All this dental journey is just a path to that goal.

Thank you for your comments Hanaku. I recently delved into mindfulness meditation and gratitude and it’s exactly how you describe. It’s about mindset so I will switch to gratitude and be thankful for my teeth, access to good care and most of all, dental insurance.

When I get triggered it’s easy to forget the path to gratitude. Gotta keep practicing

Back