• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of being numb

R

ratluov

So, I've had a couple of bad experiences when an inferior alveolar nerve block has been performed onto me.

The sensation of being "numb" alone gives me extreme anxiety as it it.. But the past two times (over the span of 3 years) that I've had any work done on my lower molars, I've been given an IAN.

Worst. Thing. Ever.

Maybe my anatomy is unique by the fact that it not only provides profound numbness. But my ear on the side of the block is greatly affected. It feels like it's getting full, then 50% of my hearing goes, and then I get really dizzy, as if I've been spinning in a chair. Not only does it affect my ear, but it also affects my eye. It's almost as if my pupil is being dilated by those drops, and that I'm wearing "beer" goggles. It's absolutely terrible.. And I simply can't do it again. I've expressed this to my Dentist. He just kinda shrugs and says "it's not a big deal".

I have an apt. tomorrow for filling on two bottom molars on the bottom right side.. The dentist told me that he was going to do a block so he could numb the entire area and "knock them all out at once". I asked him if there was any other way he could just numb a couple of teeth or a small portion of the cheek/bone area, rather than have it affect my entire face. He just looked at me kind of funny.. It's 3:38AM. I've made myself sick over this, and I know if I refuse to go through with it tomorrow, he's gonna be upset.

Can anyone offer some advice? Am I screwed?

Thanks so much.

a PDL injection is generally effective for extremely localized anesthesia. Generally only the one tooth gets numb with no altered sensation elsewhere.
Problem: Technique sensitive so many dentists don't offer or aren't good at it. I really think it took me about two years and 500 plus injections to really understand it well.

So I went today..

I was a bundle of nerves. My dentist was extremely patient with me. I must have sat there for 25 minutes before allowing him to do anything. He assured me that I wasn't going to have a numb eye or a numb ear. Though those things happen, it's a matter of needle depth, according to him.

He told me he wasn't going to use epi, that he was going to use Carbocaine (spelling). He gets me into position, inserts the needle into position, and begins injecting. I immediately began to feel both panicked and sick (from my nerves) I tried to tell my dentist that I was throwing up. He said "just give me 5 more seconds here". I patted his hand that he was using to administer the injection. The assistance said "you can't touch his hand while he's giving you this shot. I was just trying to alert him that I was throwing up!! So finally, he could see the vomit erupting from my throat and heard me gargling. He immeidately withdrew the needle, and I sprang up to the sink next to the dentist chair. I must have vomited several times for 25 minutes. I must have apologized to both the Dentist and his assistant 30 times. I felt so awful for not only delaying and taking up their time, but vomiting all over the place because I was so terrified. He was the nicest person. I guess he could see that my anxiety was so severe, it was physically taking its toll on me. Mind you, this had nothing to do with the injection, it was 100% my nerves and anxiety. I waited, and waited to get numb. He said that he was able to inject half a cartridge Carbocaine, and that it should be enough to go ahead and begin cavity fill of my lower molar. Well, I got a small cup and started washing my mouth out. And I noticed that my "numbed" tooth was just as cold sensitive as it was before. I told the Dentist, and he said "let's check it out". He start applying cold air to my tooth and told me to alert him when it was painful. It was, slightly painful. He then said.. "Okay, the reason I didn't infiltrate your tooth is because this cavity is so deep, it wouldn't have provided profound anesthesia. I believe that if we infiltrate around this tooth now. We can get it numbed up." I gave him the okay, and he gave me a couple of shots right next to the tooth, where the tooth meets the gum line. He proceeded, I had very little, little pain. The drilling wasn't painful, I could feel it, but it wasn't painful. What was painful however was when they's shoot cold water on the site and use air to quickly dry it.. Maaaan oh man, I felt that everytime. But the drilling surprisingly... 0% pain. And to be honest with you, the pain that I experienced was not even as worse as biting into ice-cream when you have a really sensitive tooth.. Maybe, 30% of that. So all in all, I'm proud that I went through with it.

I have 4 more cavities that need attention on the bottom. My dentist said that all 4 of those combined were nothing compared to the one we fixed today. And that more than likely, a quick infiltration around these teeth will be more than sufficient for numbing them up work.

I just wanted to share my experience, thanks!

Well done you for getting through that!! That's really amazing. A patient dentist can make all the difference. I wish you the best for your further treatments. :jump:

I hope your treatment went well today. I don't know much about anaesthetic but I just you to know I was thinking of you

Back