• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

terrified of numb mouth

S

scaredmummy27

Hello, I have had a dental phobia for about 5 years after having 2 teeth removed by a terrible dentist who dislocated my jaw in the process. He blamed it on my tmj, so maybe it was to blame however I developed severe anxiety as a result..

Anyway fast forward to now, I had terrible tooth pain so I called a dentist recommended by a friend.. On the morning of the appointment I didn't know if I was going to vomit, faint or have a heart attack.. The appointment was much better than I imagined and I had to get a filling up the top and was terrified of the numbness I was going to experience, however it only numbed the top part of my mouth not my tongue.. This coming Tuesday I have to have a filling on the bottom and I am so scared about the numb tongue.. My biggest fear it I am going to swallow my tongue or choke.. I am having such shocking anxiety over this.. I have heard it is impossible to swallow you tongue but I am just full of terror.. I can't pull out as I am in pain from this cavity I have on a tooth and I cannot stand the electric shock feeling in the tooth...

So I was just wondering can anyone help me try and get through this in my mind...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this xoxo

Hello, I fully understand where you are coming from, in the past I too have had a numb tongue and felt panicky but I went back to the dentist this year after at least a decade and I have had lots of numbing and it has all been fine, not sure if it's the different stuff they inject or more modern syringes etc and newer techniques or just the skill of the dentist but it really was fine, once it was a little numb along the side but that had virtually worn off by the time I was getting in the car, maybe one of the dentists can shed some light on this, I will follow your story, wishing you all the best, you will not be alone I will be thinking of you ;)
D.J:whirl:

Thank you so much D J, I can't believe how panicky I am over it.. I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it.. Then I start the panic.. Then the panic turn on the tooth, what if I have an abscess, what if I have an infection, what if I have a heart attack, what if I swallow my tongue... I hate those what if's... I am so glad I have joined this wonderful support group... I just wish Tuesday would hurry up, so I can get it over and done with.. Can I drive with my mouth numb or should I get someone to drive me?? Sorry for the frantic questions.. It is so hard when my only phobia is the dentist and it has made me a turn into a huge ball of panic.. I want to feel proud that I took the step and went but it is all shadowed by my fears... Thank you once again

xoxo

Our brains really are our own worst enemy:(
Just remember they are only 'what ifs' if you spent the rest of your waking day with ' what ifs' you would never do anything you wouldn't get in a car or cross the road etc but you can't spend your life not crossing the road otherwise you will just go round in circles:)
I had 7 extractions with local and a whiff of happy air and drove home afterwards did drive through a small busy town and the rest was open roads about a 40 minute drive and I was ok but I consider myself a good confident driver with many years experience, and I was quite calm, so you know your own ability and how your nerves might be, but I was so relieved I probably could have skipped home:ROFLMAO: In a way I guess it's like parachuting/ sky diving you are petrified but once you have done it you feel exhausted but elated, you can do it I get that determined note from you.:hug4:

Thank you D J, yes I think I will drive that way I don't have to talk to anyone, I can just get home... I live in a little tiny village, so the dentist is about 40 minutes from home... I can always pull over if I need a moment... I am thinking that my tongue should only be numb for a couple of hours like the top of my mouth was..

I decided to call my dentist and tell her how scared I was and she was very reassuring and did say that only half of my tongue would feel numb.. So I guess that is a plus lol..

You have helped me so much and given me the determination to get over this..

Thank you xoxox

Just like me then so I will be your dental buddy and will be with you each step of the way Just remember too there will be many on here following your thread even if they don't post:)
This little guy was found for the crossed up club, those of us that kept so much crossed for each other we doubted we would ever straighten out and so, even if I do say so myself, remain a little twisted:silly:
So this is for you :thumbsup: Print it out and pop it in your pocket when you go it has magical powers

You are precious... I love that I have a dental buddy and I think this is the most caring forum I have ever seen... Now if you can stop the nerves from having a party or fight in my tooth, that would be great... Ouch xoxo

I'll second that he works wonders, have another one :thumbsup:You are now officially in the crossed up club, welcome :claps:and we're tough :ROFLMAO: :butterfly:

I'm in the same boat on Tuesday. Hate hate being numb. Tooth is coming out and I'm just a wreck. We will get through this bump....I hope....stay strong...

Hi hartsada here you are I gave you some of these on your thread but you can always use another :thumbsup: :butterfly:

Oh Hartsada, I understand what you feeling... Although at the present minute I think I would welcome the numbing as the nerve spasm in my tooth is so painful at times, I would like it numb lol (I will not be saying that on Tuesday)... Is yours on Tuesday too?? I will be thinking of you and sending you strength if I have any..

Big hugs to you all

xoxo

Yes at 10:30. Was told to do this oh....27 months ago and ran out to never return. I did build the nerve this year but we lost my dad in July. :cry::cry:. When I had it scheduled I had to cancel. I miss him so much. But now is the time. My tooth is cracking more. I am also afraid our winter will be brutal and my tooth will get bad. So I think I'm ready. I, like you, wish it was Tuesday too. I have no pain but am fearful what's to come once out. I'll be thinking of you too.

Oh Hartsada, I understand what you feeling... Although at the present minute I think I would welcome the numbing as the nerve spasm in my tooth is so painful at times, I would like it numb lol (I will not be saying that on Tuesday)... Is yours on Tuesday too?? I will be thinking of you and sending you strength if I have any..

Big hugs to you all

xoxo

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad.. He will give you all the strength to get through this.. You should be so proud of yourself..

You wouldn't believe it, mine is at 10.30 too haha... I am so terrified but as I said I have these nerve spasms in the tooth which I am praying doesn't mean I have an abscess as that would cause me to have anxiety over the infection as well.. I have never had an abscess before so I don't know the difference in pain.. I have only had a bad toothaches due to cavities but no infection...

I have found this website so healing for me, just to know there are others out there who understand..

I will be with you in spirit on Tuesday, hope your not in to much pain at the moment xxx

Thanks...I hear that this upper tooth is not as bad as lower. That's what gives me strength. This group I a amazing too. I'm nervous about all of it. The procedure...the medication for after....a dry socket....infection. All the things that may or may not happen. It's really silly what we do to ourselves isn't it? I will for sure thinking of you and awaiting your success story too.:jump::dunno:

QUOTE=scaredmummy27;150314]I am so sorry for the loss of your dad.. He will give you all the strength to get through this.. You should be so proud of yourself..

You wouldn't believe it, mine is at 10.30 too haha... I am so terrified but as I said I have these nerve spasms in the tooth which I am praying doesn't mean I have an abscess as that would cause me to have anxiety over the infection as well.. I have never had an abscess before so I don't know the difference in pain.. I have only had a bad toothaches due to cavities but no infection...

I have found this website so healing for me, just to know there are others out there who understand..

I will be with you in spirit on Tuesday, hope your not in to much pain at the moment xxx[/QUOTE]

Me again lol, I have one last question to try and get rid of the anxiety I am having at the moment... I really don't want root canal, I would rather the tooth pulled, so I was wondering the toothache I have been feeling is a sharp nerve pain in the tooth.. It doesn't throb it is a real nerve pain.. It normally happens if my silly tongue feels the hole or I breath in to much air or just sometimes on its own... The dentist took x-rays last week and said it needs a filling but being the anxiety sufferer I am, I am making myself feel sick to the stomach thinking I have some sort of infection.. I keep feeling my face to see if I have swelling...

Sorry to ask heaps of questions, but just needing reassurance... I so wish Tuesday would hurry up, never thought I would be wishing to go to the dentist..

xoxoxo

It isn't really clear what your question is but I think you are asking if the pain means that a rct is required rather than a filling. If the dentist thinks it is a filling and hasn't mentioned a rct it will probably be a filling. Only your dentist will be able to answer that for you by looking at your tooth and the x rays and also once they are cleaning the inside of the tooth it will depend what they find.

They can usually tell from the x ray so it will probably be a filling. :thumbsup::butterfly:

Just wanted to let you all know that I did it yay... My mouth is numb as I am writing this but I did it without having a panic attack... I was so nervous this morning, but push myself to go... I had 4 fillings, one was on the side of the molar and quite deep, so I am hoping the nerve heals and I won't need root canal...

I am hoping that I am not in pain once this numbness wears off, as I cannot cope with tooth pain..

I just wanted to share my experience with you all.. So thank you for the support

xoxox

Hello, I have had a dental phobia for about 5 years after having 2 teeth removed by a terrible dentist who dislocated my jaw in the process. He blamed it on my tmj, so maybe it was to blame however I developed severe anxiety as a result..

Anyway fast forward to now, I had terrible tooth pain so I called a dentist recommended by a friend.. On the morning of the appointment I didn't know if I was going to vomit, faint or have a heart attack.. The appointment was much better than I imagined and I had to get a filling up the top and was terrified of the numbness I was going to experience, however it only numbed the top part of my mouth not my tongue.. This coming Tuesday I have to have a filling on the bottom and I am so scared about the numb tongue.. My biggest fear it I am going to swallow my tongue or choke.. I am having such shocking anxiety over this.. I have heard it is impossible to swallow you tongue but I am just full of terror.. I can't pull out as I am in pain from this cavity I have on a tooth and I cannot stand the electric shock feeling in the tooth...

So I was just wondering can anyone help me try and get through this in my mind...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this xoxo

The problem with phobias is that even though we might know our fears are not realistic they still bother us. I have dealt with a lot of anxiety/phobia issues in my life and I know that even when people tell me "oh that's not going to happen" I still feel anxious. So, here are a few practical things you might consider.

1. Tell your dentist. Your dentist might be able to use a smaller amount of numbing medication so that you do not feel the sensation in your tongue. They might also be able to strategically place the numbing medication in an area that will numb the tooth but not your tongue. It is definitely worth asking.

2. Consider using a difference antiseptic. Numbing medication is not the only way to make you comfortable during the procedure. Some dentists still use laughing gas and some dentists actually use a general antiseptic to put you to sleep or sedate you during the procedure. While I wouldn't necessarily suggest going this route it is worth exploring if you are really concerned you might panic when your tongue goes numb.

3. Ask your dentist to give you some time to get used to the numbness before starting the procedure. Sometimes the mixture of the drill and the numbness can make you more nervous. It might be worth getting the numbing medication and then taking a walk around the office. That way when your tongue becomes numb you won't be laying in the chair and you can take some time to get used to the sensation before sitting for the procedure.

4. Give yourself incentive to get through the procedure. If you have to gut it out try to give yourself some kind of incentive for making it through the process. I always pick something small that I can treat myself too after a successful procedure. It can be a good meal, a piece of clothing, a big bar of chocolate.. pretty much anything you can look forward to while you sit for the procedure.

Hope this helps!!

:yayy::dance2::cheer2::bounces::yay::cheer::yayy::cheer2::dance::dance2::bounces::claps::wow::perfect::yayy::yayy::yayy:
Yippee! Well done Buddy! You are a star I am so proud of you :hug5:
You should find that paracetamol and or ibuprofen inter spaced between paracetamol doses with help if you should notice any niggles, you will either feel elated or Knackered now possibly both:giggle: Have a treat you deserve it xox
D.J :whirl:

Back