• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of the Unknown (21year old crown Removal)

D

Deenie

I am in my mid fifties and have had the same Dentist since I was fifteen. He was a family friend, so I always trusted his diagnosis. I have always brushed my teeth, but probably didn’t floss as often as I should have. I admit I could have taken better care of my teeth over the years. My Dental cleanings became sporadic because they were always followed by needing fillings or crowns. Many of my teeth in the back, bottom and top are crowns, and I have many teeth with bonding. I always get compliments on my teeth/smile, but that is due to the dental procedures I have endured.

Recently my Dentist of 40 years retired and I was forced to find a New Dentist. I found the most caring Dentist through a recommendation from a Dental Prosthodontist.

I have a couple of questions that relate to my fears.
(1) I can’t remember ever having a completely pain free filling with my Dentist of forty years even having 2-3 shots of numbing meds. I think this is where the terror started. I always thought that Dental procedures just hurt regardless. My new Dentist gave me 1 shot for a deep cavity and I had NO discomfort at all! I was shocked and thrilled, but somewhat Confused at the completely different experience I was use to having.

(2) I have 2 crowns on my 2 lower back teeth that have been on for 21 years and have been watched by my old dentist for about 2 years. My new Dentist says X-rays show that apparently they have been leaking. One of them has a small opening that I am constantly brushing food out of. I am going in for crown-removal on both, cleaning up the deep decay, and a possible root canal if the nerve is involved. These 2 teeth don’t hurt at all, but are a little sore when flossing. They don’t bleed, I’m not experiencing any pus, swollen gums, or swollen jaw. I am terrified of the possibility of bad pain during the process, but as terrified of the diagnosis and prognosis. I’ve only had 1 procedure with this new Dentist and even though it was A+++ I still need a little reassurance and possibly some knowledge of what to expect.

This is very rambling, but I wanted to identify so much to get a good opinion from anyone who may have experienced these things.

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi Deenie,

it sounds like the experience with your new dentist is a great one so far, but there are also things that confuse you. If I got your first question, you are wondering how can one dentist be able to make you numb and another one not, right? We have an article about what can make people not being numb and what can be done, so maybe it can give you some first ideas about the topic.

I wasn‘t sure about what your question was about the crowns (not that I was a dentist and could provide you with an opinion, but I‘m curious). So are you doubting that the crowns are leaking because you have no further pain than the discomfort when flossing? Or is this about your fear of pain during the procedure?

It‘s ok not to feel 100% confident with your new dentist. It sounds like they made a great start and impressed you, but it takes some time to allow the trust to unfold fully. And even with trust, it‘s ok to want to get some information about a procedure that you are about to have done.

All the best wishes

I am comfortable in the diagnosis of leaking crowns, but very nervous about the procedure. I remember both of the teeth having very deep decay when the crowns were put on 21 years ago. The pain involved in removing the crowns and cleaning the decay under them is terrifying and the cost of a possible root canal is also terrifying. Do you usually experience pain with a tooth needing a root canal? I have never had one, and will the Dentist be able to make the removal and decay cleanup painless? Thank you so much for your response! Tommorrow is the day and I’m shaking!!!!

I have never had one, and will the Dentist be able to make the removal and decay cleanup painless?

Yes they certainly should. There's no excuse not to make it completely comfortable with modern equipment and materials.

Yes they certainly should. There's no excuse not to make it completely comfortable with modern equipment and materials.
Thank you soooo much for your knowledge, encouragement, and links! You have definitely put my mind at ease!

Until now, I haven’t had a chance to update my experience at my Dental Appointment. It went so well that hopefully my experience will encourage another person who has a phobia about going to the Dentist.
I had 2 crowns removed after 21 years and the Dentist placed several shots in specific areas to make sure that I was completely numb before he proceeded. He never hurt me once! I am learning that the key to finding a Great Dentist is by asking around and sharing what you are looking for in your Dental Team! I am finally starting to relax and even though I’ve only had a few appointments with my Dentist I am convinced that he is a Keeper!

Back